Petrol tap again

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Snails

Re fitted my petrol tap with some ptfe tape to try and stop it weeping.

Please check out the photo - there aint much room for suspension travel and I'm obviously worried it will damage the tap when I go over a bump. Now the obvious thing seems to be wind the tap in further but to me it always seems to me to be a pay off between the two threads on the tap so I either have thread showing on the tank or spare thread on the tap itself. As you can see in the photo there is no thread on the tank. I just want to check that its normal to have spare thread on both or am I doing something wrong?

Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

You really need equal amounts of thread on either side... The idea being the two facings coming together and forming a seal, or at least that's how mine is. I'd be more concerned about the missing nut on your engine bolt though!
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

^^^what he sed^^
+ ya tap needs to be away from engine mount
C’est la vie
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

Slacken the petrol tank straps and standing on the tap side turn the petrol tank anti-clockwise until the tap moves clear of the engine mount.One of the philips head screws that fasten your tap together is loose.
Snails

Moving the tank is a good suggestion and has given me a bit more room, I've also adjusted the ratio between the two threads to even it out but I'm still worried by how little clearance I have. Why didnt they design it so the tap was at the back!

HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

The rod goes around the back of the carb,so the tap will need turning and you'll find when its turned it will give you more clearance.
dirtyhandslopez

It is surprising how little clearance is necessary to make things work ;)
That's not going anywhere...
Monty
Main scooter: Series 1 Muggy, Imola Special

I agree with the comments but at the end of the day nut position will not raise the tap height. As above the faces are together that dictates the leanth of the tap assembly. I turned the tap round the back of the carb and ended up putting another brass joint in I had to shorten the rod and cut a slot in the end 90 degrees out from the original. I also raised the tank height to get away from the mount after my tap was knocked off during a ride.
Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

Remember that the tap and engine mount distance doesnt change with suspension travel so close to the pivot point though?
Donnie.
Snails

Monty wrote:I agree with the comments but at the end of the day nut position will not raise the tap height.

Yep I worked that out through experimentation

Monty wrote: I turned the tap round the back of the carb and ended up putting another brass joint in I had to shorten the rod and cut a slot in the end 90 degrees out from the original.
I might try this as the rod I have is too long anyway and i have a spare brass joint
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information