What am I doing wrong?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Ok so I'm running in a stage 4 iron barrel I had from Harry Barlow with a Scootopia clubman and the original SH1/18 carb, ticks over and runs lovely. Originally I did a plug chop with the 98 main jet that was fitted and found it was running a bit lean then went for a 118 still a bit lean looking probably the exact same grey as the grey trim with the centre electrode insulator the same all the way down but a bit blubbery through the mid range, then tried a 115 and a 112 main jet, plug colour exactly the same as the 118. Probably runs best all round on the 115. Then I took off the carb rubber air hose and what I originally thought was spit back was (from tick over) petrol visibly seeping out of the main carb opening and both air holes and dripping on the floor, am I right in thinking the carb is knackered?? Btw tried a B7 and a B8 plug, both the same colour.
bazza3004

Id say your float needle needs replacing as its no longer sealing when float bowl is full. Simple job to replace it .
Scooterdude

Ah right, I have replaced it but am guessing the seat to which it seals could be damaged in that case then, will look at ways of refacing the seat. Someone I know last night suggested the BGM jet kit I bought was such poor quality all the hole sizes were the same hence why the plug colour stays the same from jet to jet, something that I had to disagree with. Thanks for your reply bud.
Padge
Main scooter: 1969 Lambretta gp

why are you running an 18mm carb on a Harry Barlow stage 4 barrel ??
Scooterdude

Padge wrote:why are you running an 18mm carb on a Harry Barlow stage 4 barrel ??
Because from day one of the build that's what he's been telling me I want, when I suggested one of the modern Dellortos he almost threw me out of his workshop haha.

What would you recommend ?
Scooterdude

bazza3004 wrote:Id say your float needle needs replacing as its no longer sealing when float bowl is full. Simple job to replace it .
Fixed it! Just stripped it and put a cotton bud in my drill with a dab of metal polish, gave it a good oll clear out, rebuilt and tried it runs lovely put the 112 main jet back in, all I need now is for it to stop raining so I can go try it, thanks again.
Padge
Main scooter: 1969 Lambretta gp

you say stage 4 but what cc is it ?
Scooterdude

Padge wrote:you say stage 4 but what cc is it ?
its a 175, now then I kept on hearing about stage four this and stage four that so on Friday I rang him to ask just what it was I had, he confirmed it was a stage four, his standard conversion with an increase in performance plus good fuel economy.
bazza3004

Hi glad you got it sorted when the rain finally stops get out and enjoy it, bazza
shocky

Padge wrote:why are you running an 18mm carb on a Harry Barlow stage 4 barrel ??
Im running a HB stg4 200 with 110 rod on 22mm jetex and jl pipe it goes really well and will hit a genuine 70 and pulls from 30 in top with no problem I wanted a usable genuine 55-60 mph cruiser
the carb runs genuine dellorto jets atomiser is modded to flow more in the mide range and the float valve opened up to allow more flow on a calibrated sip speedo it hits 30 ,42,58 and 71 mph going through the gears all on a 35 quid 3 ring meteor piston (new type ) that was supplied by HB
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information