exaust port heights help

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
thebassmasta
Main scooter: GP TS1 240

right im after a little bit of help, bit of a dummy with maths and s**t like that, but basically i need to know the height of the ex port and if so the height of the piston at tdc in relation to the cylinder on my ts1 225 kit, im basically having a pipe modified to suit the barrel, whats the easies way to do it? remember im a dummy thanks for any help
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

That's a very vague question to a potentially complicated answer. Might be best to backtrack a bit....what pipe are you having altered, who is altering it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

This might help as it asks you to measure certain parts of the cylinder/piston.

http://lambretta-images.com/archive/porttiming.php

If the person whose modifying your exhaust knows what he's doing he may want to see a traced outline of the barrel (thin paper with the outlines of all the ports traced over). It may be worth taking the barrel and piston (if not the full engine) so he can see the parts himself. Might also help with any fitting issues.
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

drunkmunkey6969 wrote:That's a very vague question to a potentially complicated answer. Might be best to backtrack a bit....what pipe are you having altered, who is altering it?

Dan.

Might be a nice little article comparing the port timings of the most common kits for the large/small block. Just done a quick search for the standard timings for a TS1 and can't find anything ?

Be interesting to compare the performances and how they are port timing related.

Just a thought............
drunkmunkey6969

mick1 wrote:
drunkmunkey6969 wrote:That's a very vague question to a potentially complicated answer. Might be best to backtrack a bit....what pipe are you having altered, who is altering it?

Dan.

Might be a nice little article comparing the port timings of the most common kits for the large/small block. Just done a quick search for the standard timings for a TS1 and can't find anything ?

Be interesting to compare the performances and how they are port timing related.

I've already thought about this, I'm going to have a conversation with DT and see if he wants to tackle it, if not then I will. Because I'm more inclined to focus on an explanation regarding building a motor around the pipe than the kit.....too many times do I hear 'this is a tour kit' or 'this is a race kit'.....it's not that simple. Starting with 130/190 as a baseline (for very important reasons) and trimming it either way with stroke and/or rod/packer combinations can help, but looking at the pipe is the most important thing for me, then work backwards to port timings, then match carb and gearing accordingly.

But I digress.....thread drift!

Coming to a magazine near you soon.....lol

See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

interesting idea dan; std ts1 aprx ex 181-182 degrees tr 127-128; a exhaust port deficient kit imo
C’est la vie
drunkmunkey6969

Muppet wrote:interesting idea dan; std ts1 aprx ex 181-182 degrees tr 127-128; a exhaust port deficient kit imo
Indeed...
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

... or too much transfer timing as standard ;)
ridden not hidden

Isn't it cheaper and easier to find a pipe that has the characteristics your looking for ( where you want the power and how you want it to rev and what port timings it is designed to work best within ) and then match the barrel to suit? that's what I did
Last edited by ridden not hidden on Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ridden not hidden

drunkmunkey6969 wrote:
mick1 wrote:

Dan.

looking at the pipe is the most important thing for me, then work backwards to port timings, then match carb and gearing accordingly.

But I digress.....thread drift!

Coming to a magazine near you soon.....lol

That's how I build a motor, work it and match it to the port timings that the exhaust is designed for because the pipe is such a crucial element not just a noise box ;-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information