exaust port heights help

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Adam_Winstone wrote:... or too much transfer timing as standard ;)
On a motor like the TS1 which is transfer time-area deficient, you sometimes have to increase the timing to get what you need.....again, pipe dependant. As long as you don't over extend the transfers and then have to chase the exhaust timing to get the correct blow down, which then can end up too peaky, you can do most of what you want with carb and pipe combos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
drunkmunkey6969

ridden not hidden wrote:Isn't it cheaper and easier to find a pipe that has the characteristics your looking for ( where you want the power and how you want it to rev and what port timings it is designed to work best within ) and then match the barrel to suit? that's what I did
Yes.

Trouble is, a surprisingly large number of pipe manufactures either don't provide or don't have accurate tuned length/port timing suggestions.

The few who do are priceless.

See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
thebassmasta
Main scooter: GP TS1 240

darrell is modifing a tsr evo pipee for me, unfortunatley the barrell wasnt tuned by him so he requested the information
ridden not hidden

If you have the barrel off you can do a port map with a piece of paper that should give him the info he needs
drunkmunkey6969

thebassmasta wrote:darrell is modifing a tsr evo pipee for me, unfortunatley the barrell wasnt tuned by him so he requested the information
Darrell has a plethora of Dyno results for various pipes on various kits, and can alter the tuned length of the TSR pipe to suit your port timings.

So have you managed to measure what he needs, or are you still struggling?

mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

Won't AF have the standard port timing info', might be worth a call/e-mail.

Looked on their site but it doesn't give that info'..........wouldn't it be nice if the kits were sold with the basic port timings/maps listed
drunkmunkey6969

mick1 wrote:Won't AF have the standard port timing info', might be worth a call/e-mail.

Looked on their site but it doesn't give that info'..........wouldn't it be nice if the kits were sold with the basic port timings/maps listed
Yes they do, and places like Scooter centre publicise them on their site too. But 'standard' timings for any kit can alter from engine to engine with different cases, different crank strokes, rod length/packer/gasket combinations etc...

Norrie Bodge
Main scooter: GP-1971-Ts230/S2-1960-Ts230

drunkmunkey6969 wrote:
any kit can alter from engine to engine with different cases, different crank strokes, rod length/packer/gasket combinations etc...
Interesting thread this !!
As I'm gonna build me spare motor with a 225 cast barrel & piston modded to be used with LTH reed manifold a try....
It's gonna be fitted with a 57x110 crank
I wonder what packer be best for mid-range torquey setup??
drunkmunkey6969

Decide what pipe you will use, and then judge what port timing you require. Fit whatever packer is needed to set the transfers at the height which gives the correct duration figure, then adjust/port the exhaust to match, and lastly....machine the head to get correct squish/compression ratio.....fit the relevant sized carb to match your exhaust type and port timings.....and you are off to a good start.

Special X
Main scooter: Lambretta 125 special 230cc

STD TS1 is quoted to be 185 exhaust, 130 transfer.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information