TS1 engine how many miles..?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Andy Pickering
Main scooter: GP

My brothers TS1 has gone belly up last week..I was wondering how long these motors should last on average..depending on how its ridden?

TS1 225, 34mm Flatslide, NK non tuned brand new built and supplied from AF 4 years and 4000 miles ago..ridden well and not abused..
It started to vibrate quite badly and after having it looked at the big end has gone and is now being repaired..
Just wondered what the life span of the jap bearings would be.. :?:
Ricspeed, gone but never forgotten RIP my friend #59
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

AF "race" crank ?
if so, it did well to reach 4000 miles
mark

mine covered a good 8k before i rebuilt the top end with new rings . 8-)
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

mark wrote:mine covered a good 8k before i rebuilt the top end with new rings . 8-)
8-) let's hope the new owner has as many trouble free miles
so far, so good
Andy Pickering

Full AF package byron,
Top end fine I think..just waiting to see if its just bearings or the cranks out of true..
Andy Pickering

Right update from York..
Head..gone..Rings..gone..gearbox..gone..clutch..gone..chain..gone..sprocket..gone..bearings and seals...gone, looks like the drive side seal had been gone a bit as its low on gearbox oil and theres been no leaks..and the barrel and piston black all over..
So 4000 miles for a sil engine to be completely shot and need rebuild top to bottom.
BUT the crank seems fine.. :!:

Hes pretty sick to say the least. :cry:
andylaw7

id have another look at the crank to see if all the rollers are still in place .was it a bog standard sil engine to start with oil seal wise that is ?
Andy Pickering

andylaw7 wrote:id have another look at the crank to see if all the rollers are still in place .was it a bog standard sil engine to start with oil seal wise that is ?
Its at foxhat being repaired matey..oh and the layshaft was shot aswell...be back soon better than ever..
gaz_powell

has the engine done 4k miles without any servicing?

i would normally strip a ts for inspection between 2000- 3000 miles depending on how it its used - side casing off general visual check and adjust chain, change oil, remove cylinder and inspect piston, head gasket etc change rings at about 8k (as stated previously) - might be abit over cautious but these engines are knocking out nearly twice the bhp of standard, revving higher etc

a 2k strip and inspection can seem like a pain to do but if it flags something up before a major failure it all becomes worthwhile generally it costs a bit of time and a few quid (oil, gaskets etc)

just my humble opinion! others may freely disagree
Andy Pickering

With hindsight (which is a wonderful thing) he should have BUT..oil and plug change and a prayer to the lambretta god seemed surfice..I for one will not get caught out as mines a brand new sil (not ts1) now with 180 miles on it...I will without a doubt be sending mine to Mr Brady in late autumn prob after Brid..(If thats ok sean) for a full strip and check, spit and polish just for piece of mind no matter how many miles are on it..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information