Tubeless Wheel Choice.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Been a couple of years since we hashed this one over...I've been through 30 pages of old threads, just looking for an update.

Coming up to MOT time for the GP and I'd like to get out and about on it this year.

Currently I have a pair of ScootRS late type wheels on which have been modified to use Bridgeport style valves, fitted with Racemans.

I'm a little worried about the Scwalbe tyres, they're more or less unused so untried, but have held air without issue for about three years, while I've shoved it in and out of the shed, but they're old and have a bad rep now so looking to at least change the tyres.

I don't fancy trying to change the studs that have been in there for the best part of 40 years either, so SIPs are out for now.

I'm considering Scootsmarts by Dunlop for tyres.

Is anyone still using the AF rims?

I also have a spare set of ScootRS late type with bolt in valves - anyone still using those?

All opinions appreciated.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
coaster

Don't know about the rims but you won't go wrong with the ScootSmarts, great tyre but go for the hi load version for the rear, Corrado was doing them a while back for a good price 8-)
rosscla

Looks like there's a 59J and a 51P version
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
jonboy
Main scooter: Vespa T 5 Classic

Iam using Af rims
Don't buy the standard rim for the rear unless your prepared to file some of the
hub fin away or loosen the wheel from the hub to put air in
The front is fine
coaster

rosscla wrote:Looks like there's a 59J and a 51P version
59J is the one for the back, 3 ply and a LOT stiffer in the sidewall.
rosscla

But only speed rated to 62mph?

And nobody's disagreed on ditching kg the racemans
tippo88

The are a lot of AF rims sold and used here in Malaysia and not heard anything negative. I have a set for my S3 but not finished the rebuild yet. I had to file a fin on the rear hub as Jonboy mentioned but I thought I read that this was only an issue with one batch of wheels?

Sent from my SM-J500G using Tapatalk
bazman
Playstation gamer tag: bazman70

Ditch the wheelbarrow tyres mate , as that's all they are good for :evil:
coaster

rosscla wrote:But only speed rated to 62mph?
I figured that the amount of time the scoot spends at more than 62 mph would be very limited. Mine have been fine cruising between 50-60 mph on the GPS, the first one lasted about 2k miles before it needed replacing. If the speed rating bothers you Ross I would equally recommend the Conti Twist Sport which has a slightly higher speed rating I think. I've worn a couple of those out too, one on the Davos trip, no issues at all on the wet mountain roads.
rosscla

coaster wrote:
rosscla wrote:But only speed rated to 62mph?
I figured that the amount of time the scoot spends at more than 62 mph would be very limited. Mine have been fine cruising between 50-60 mph on the GPS, the first one lasted about 2k miles before it needed replacing. If the speed rating bothers you Ross I would equally recommend the Conti Twist Sport which has a slightly higher speed rating I think. I've worn a couple of those out too, one on the Davos trip, no issues at all on the wet mountain roads.
It was just a thought, the load is a consideration too but I am on a diet ;-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information