Quandary

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
dapper
Main scooter: The Biriani Bullet

Had a seize after downpipe came adrift and tried to wet 'n dry but loads of piston slap, so needs a rebore and oversize piston. Got the new OS piston and stripped engine out and top end down. The kit is a 185cc Dave Betts (RIP) tuned SR type kit and he put a boost port in the cylinder with a window to match in the piston. Now this is all on a standard crank which has no big end shims. When I first built the kit with the piston that came with it I followed Sticky's and many on here and put shims in at the small end. When I now compare the gap in the two pistons, I won't be able to get any shims in with the standard small end bearing in the new piston as the gap is smaller.
What do I do? And who can I send it to to get it rebored and the window put in the piston to match in the south east? Desperately want to be back on the road soon.
Compact Toolbox Flywheel Holder
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

I think some pistons are made to eliminate the need for shims at the small end due to the "gap" underneath the piston being smaller. If I remember rightly you have an SX crank in that engine which should require small end shims. If the piston won't take shims at the small end then its OK to leave them out.

I use "Piston Broke" in Easton, Bristol. Steve, the owner and one man band is very good and will do mail order on rebores etc. I'm sure he could do the boost port as well with no probs.

His number is 0117 9412300

Beware- he is an old Rocker from the 1960's and takes great pleasure it taking the wotsit out of scooterists. He can talk for England as well! Nice bloke and knowledgable as well

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
shocky

out of interest what does he charge for a rebore as my local dealer cant be trusted to change a plug or pump a tyre up properly , and most local enginnering firms wont deal direct with the public and as im often in briz or corsham it wouldnt be to far out of my way
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

I think its probably around £20 + VAT for a rebore or thereabouts.

He'll do it whle you wait if its not too busy.

Top bloke- never had any problems with his work.

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
shocky

id ot be in a rush so will bare him in mind
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information