12V AC Rev Counter Options?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Hi all,

Whilst I realise that many people have now moved on to SIP speedos, with the range of functions that they offer, I'm looking to replace a toolbox top mounted analogue rev counter and wonder what my options may be?

In the past I've tried using one of the more common types, which can work on 12v AC or DC but found that running it AC meant that it didn't remember the number of cylinders that it was set for the next time it was used. This resulted in having to reset it each and every time I turned the ignition off... a little frustrating to say the least! I understand that this does not happen if you run it on a DC system/setting but I do not want to run a battery and would rather have no tacho!

So, what are my options for a 12V AC analogue tacho? I want to keep it analogue as the vintage nature of the bike means that digital is out of place. That said, if people have a recommendation for a cheap/good/round one (digital) then I'd consider fitting one to a different bike of mine.

Any help/suggestions welcomed.

Thanks,

Adam
Adam_Winstone

Still looking and now need one more than ever as this baby can rev ;)

Please let me know if you've found one that actually works?

Thanks

Adam
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

Try this Adam.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Resettable-Ta ... SwpDdVCrz4

It is not very pretty, but it requires no power (yes, really) and the single wire wraps around the HT lead. It is not illuminated. Although it is intended for boats, where revs remain pretty stable, it is useful once you know where peak-power occurs (from a dyno run) it is not too difficult to judge your gear changes. Once you are in top, the revs stabilise so you can do your calculations on whether to re-gear.

When the engine is off, the display shows the number of hours run.

Shop around, as I bought mine from the States for less than £20 and it has proved very robust.

I have tried all sorts of different rev counters, and this is the one that has proved the most reliable. I do have a rev counter built into my Acewell speedo, but this digital rev counter is the one I refer to when I want an accurate reading.

I hope this is helpful.
Martin
bazza3004

Ive had the one mentioned above onmy scoot for over a year now without any problems. Iirc i set it for correct number of cylinders (one) when i first set it up and that was that.
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

You can run a C31 Pitsch Krober. From memory there is a feed to the ignition, an earth and a feed for the internal light of the tacho, Adam.
Norrie Bodge
Main scooter: GP-1971-Ts230/S2-1960-Ts230

Knowledge wrote:Try this Adam.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Resettable-Ta ... SwpDdVCrz4

It is not very pretty, but it requires no power (yes, really) and the single wire wraps around the HT lead. It is not illuminated. Although it is intended for boats, where revs remain pretty stable, it is useful once you know where peak-power occurs (from a dyno run) it is not too difficult to judge your gear changes. Once you are in top, the revs stabilise so you can do your calculations on whether to re-gear.

When the engine is off, the display shows the number of hours run.

Shop around, as I bought mine from the States for less than £20 and it has proved very robust.

I have tried all sorts of different rev counters, and this is the one that has proved the most reliable. I do have a rev counter built into my Acewell speedo, but this digital rev counter is the one I refer to when I want an accurate reading.

I hope this is helpful.

Use one of these on my S2
This one cheaper still -> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331862338692
Morgan
Main scooter: T5 Vespa Mk1

+ ^

use one on my Avanti and just bought another for forthcoming project
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

I've had one of those little gizmos on for about 195 hours now. Fantastic, pretty responsive and when not running reverts to engine run time.

I believe however Adam is after a round one with sweeping hand. Several on ebay but only a few for single cylinder 2 stroke.
Ken Tucky

Scitsu - good damping, reads from HT cable, its 12v rechargeable via a pin into the body of the rev counter.
I suppose it depends on how much you want to pay also!

http://www.scitsu.com/scitsu-classic-ra ... r-99-p.asp

Mr Tucky
Adam_Winstone

These always seem to come out as the top recommendation, however, the extra price makes them a little pricey. They are also a bit big for subtle mounting.

Thanks.

Adam
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information