Points! ! ! PLEASE HELP!

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Supereibar

Hi bros from the scootering world.. I need help with points setup.

I run a standard DANSI system on my lammy. Days ago it started misfireing, so today I took the feeler gauge and set the points at .4. When I fit the flywheel back on, NO SPARK.
OK. I took the flywheel back off and set points again, just in case I missed something. Placed flywheel back on. NO SPARK.
Same procedure another time but before setting up the points gap I run a 600 wet an dry through the breaker. Then place flywheel back on. NO SPARK.

I give up. Why when I set the points up suddenly it stop sparking? What did I do that completely upset the system?

I appreciate any help.

Best,

Jaime
ArKaTxU
Dealer
Main scooter: TV175 64-Jet200 68-Jet200 82

Maybe you haven't put the earth wire from the engine to frame? :mrgreen:
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

Jaime!!

First mistake was fiddling with it mate :D

Are you sure the gap is still correct? Reason I ask is the gap tends to close up whilst tightening the grub screw at times so you may actually have no gap at all (= no spark)

I actually like using points (all my scoots run points with no probs)

If you like I can pop round and look at it for you- if you can book me a flight over on Iberia (I turn LEFT at the top of the airbridge BTW!!), I'll sort it for you.

best

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
dapper
Main scooter: The Biriani Bullet

The misfiring could well be down to the condenser failing. Change that an look at all the soldered joints. There may be a dry joint (dull grey). I'd re-solder all of them. Also check that all the earth tags on the stator are tight. Also look for any chafing on any of the wires. Lastly, did you take the points apart? There are small insulators between the parts of the points that must be in the correct place. Refer to Sticky's manual. Also check if you are getting a spark from the LT lead to earth when you kick her over. Should be a spark, but not as good as from the spark plug gap.
Compact Toolbox Flywheel Holder
dapper

Can't see how you can set the points with the flywheel off :?: :!: You have to set the points with the flywheel on, and turn it until the points open due to the cam on the flywheel.
Supereibar

double post
Last edited by Supereibar on Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Supereibar

I took the flywheel off just to be sure things were ok in the statorplate. I was setting points with the flywheel on. As per Sticky's indication.
NEWS. This morning I called donlambretto (who is the one that convinces me to keep the points on this scoot, as I am totally for electronic conveniency...) and we realize that the feeler gauge I was using is in IMPERIAL SYSTEM!!!!!! So I WAS LEAVING THE POINTS OPEN!!! Realized that I had to do .18 feeler gauge measurements and so I did after the telephone conversation. SPARK. Thought problem was solved. Put the scoot together. Started first kick.

BUT..... Still backfirying after a start from idle on traffic lights. In a 4 km test ride it has done that 4 times. Shall we start all over again? I do have a new set of points, condensor & HT cable. Also have an electronic kit on the side in case I get fed up with the whole thing :flaming: :flaming:

Could you just reccomend a list of things to do now?

1-Check on....

2-Do....

3-Undo....

I would appreciate it.

P.S: Chris, you are welcome to Barcelona any time. Soon I'll have an apartment you can stay with your wife if you come down here on your own.
dapper

First thing I'd check is that the flywheel hasn't moved on its taper. Check that the woodruff key is in good condition and that the flywheel is torqued up correctly. Remeber that altering your points gap can affect your timing too.
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

Supereibar wrote:
P.S: Chris, you are welcome to Barcelona any time. Soon I'll have an apartment you can stay with your wife if you come down here on your own.
I don't quite understand- are you going to fix me up with a "wife" if I come to Barcelona? :shock: (haven't been there since 1968!!!!)

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
Supereibar

bristolmod wrote:
Supereibar wrote:
I don't quite understand- are you going to fix me up with a "wife" if I come to Barcelona? :shock: (haven't been there since 1968!!!!)

Chris
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

s**t, Chris thought you had a lass mate... Didn't know you where a bachelor, in all these years of knowing each other.. No mate, unfortunately you are going to have to do that yourself. I just offer yourself a free apartment to stay on your own (so you can go out in town and do your thing in las ramblas :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information