Keeps Cutting Out

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Monty
Main scooter: Series 1 Muggy, Imola Special

Have you removed the loom green from the CDI. If it's a duff switch or loom it will kill your ignition. 1st thing to try. You will have to stall it to turn it off but worth testing as it costs nowt
Livi- Graeme
Main scooter: Lambretta li 185 series 2

Mick 1. Waterproofs under the seat. Reminds me of a trip coming back from Millport when my mates scoot cut out in paisley. For well over an hour we done this and done that only to find he'd done exactly that. How we laughed
Strummer10
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Special 225

Hi Monty, no not tried that but will give it a go this morning .....by the way it's on an Indian GP if that helps , so it has a 'white' 'Green' and 'yellow (instead of red) wires. There's also a smaller type regulator on the bike.

We now have a donor stator plate to try 'a BGM pro supercharged one' which has the normal 'red' 'white' and 'green' wires to the stator, then a 'black' wire and then a thin 'yellow' and thick yellow' wire so just need to fathom out how it's wired onto this bike ......I recall before we had to joining the 2 'yellow' wires and plug them in together on a 'NON-battery' scooter. cant find a diagram for the BGM stator ? , nice pamphlet comes with it, but excludes a wiring diagram, but goes into chapter and verse about grinding and skimming the mag flange etc

Livi, good point, yes will check under the seat......you never know lol ???
Meds
Main scooter: Li125s

If it isn't the stator?
The petrol cap may not be breathing properly, try it without the cap.
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

My mate had a Monza street racer built, cut down panels, rear sets, drops, looked quite tidy TBH. For the first week he had no problems then it suddenly started cutting out. This went on for a few weeks, some days it would be fine, other days it would cut out after a few hundred yards but would start straight away but then cut out again.

He was complaining about how he couldn't find the fault after changing all the favourite parts and trying all the repairs suggested. He then went on to say some of his trousers were also ruined with all the petrol on them and oily ring marks. That rang alarm bells !! It turned out his "baggier" trousers were being sucked into carb' stopping the scoot.

I also recall a similar issue with the old RAF coat flapping in the carb bellmouth...............
Monty
Main scooter: Series 1 Muggy, Imola Special

Strummer10 wrote:Hi Monty, no not tried that but will give it a go this morning .....by the way it's on an Indian GP if that helps , so it has a 'white' 'Green' and 'yellow (instead of red) wires. There's also a smaller type regulator on the bike.

We now have a donor stator plate to try 'a BGM pro supercharged one' which has the normal 'red' 'white' and 'green' wires to the stator, then a 'black' wire and then a thin 'yellow' and thick yellow' wire so just need to fathom out how it's wired onto this bike ......I recall before we had to joining the 2 'yellow' wires and plug them in together on a 'NON-battery' scooter. cant find a diagram for the BGM stator ? , nice pamphlet comes with it, but excludes a wiring diagram, but goes into chapter and verse about grinding and skimming the mag flange etc

Livi, good point, yes will check under the seat......you never know lol ???
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bgm+r ... gSp45kM%3A
sort out the ones to the CDI first. if you have 1 yellow left its as above as a supply to the regulator and then your lights. This shouldn't have changed as is not relevant for cutting out.
If your stator has 2 yellows it may have been converted to DC. You will need to look at the ways its wired on the stator follow the yellow wire and if it goes to one end of a coil check the other one, if that goes to the end of one of the other coils its DC. just connect one to a good Ground and connect the other to your yellow on the regulator.
Indian light/ignition switches often fail and short out internally so always a 1st to try removing the 2nd green from the CDI. the one thats left when you remove the stator. The bike will run as normal but will not stop when you turn the key. PS dont tell any tea leaves
Strummer10

Hmm...the plot thickens, however, had the bike previously has wired the loom directly to the CDI box, therefore the stator wires go to the junction box (which is essentially just wire connections). The original stator we are removing has yellow / brown / green / white wires.......the new BGM on red (which I think is yellow on the old stator) , then green and white connections (same as old stator) then a surplus black wire ?
Strummer10

Sorry forgot to mention, having realized it's been wired up differently to any of the books, I have re-tested the stator wires to Sticky's values and only the white earth wire was correct the other ones were far far too low, so i'm hoping it's a knackered stator plate, re-wiring will be testing though lol
Strummer10

Sorry ....separate issue ...same poxy bike !!! (Grrr). Could we change the side casing from an indian GP one to a conventional 1965 L.I ? would it just mean changing the clutch bell to a nipple version and cutting out the ramp on the endplate ?
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

You have to fit an Li type ramp to the GP side casing,this entails drilling and tapping the inside of the side casing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information