Wassel battery

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
gp200ts1
Main scooter: lambretta series 2

Looking for a slim battery for my Wassel conversion. Thing is to put it where I want it can't be more than 50mm wide. What are others using and anyone know of thin batteries of 5amp plus?
ArmandTanzarian

I tried burglar alarm batteries but they kept going flat. You could try a modern NiCad but they aren't cheap.
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
Monty
Main scooter: Series 1 Muggy, Imola Special

I think you will struggle to get anything alarm battery wise in 5 amp that's that slim. The one I'm using is slimmer than that but longer and is under 3 amp. I have a 5 amp one on my other bike and its about 4.5 x4x 4.5 inches. Sorry I'm a feet and inches man. That's on my imola bike that I rarely ride and its never gone flat. I did loose one that went flat as I had switched it passed off to parking lights. If you are draining a battery something must be drawing power. My ignition switch turns everything off. As I had a digital speedo and it only works with the lights on. The imola is wired standard but still doesn't have a problem. I would be looking at rear light especially if you are using a LED lamp.
coaster

Most Maplin stores stock the alarm batteries so you could just go in and have a measure up. Bare in mind that you can use 2 small batteries connected in parallel to achieve the desired capacity. That might make it possible to mount them in different locations. Early MGB's had a similar arrangement due to mounting space issues.
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

Try this spec sheet from Yuasa.

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/pdfs/Yuas ... s_2015.pdf

All the dimensions are there. Burglar alarm batteries are the way forward. Mine has not gone flat, it won't leak and it can be mounted at any angle (except upside down).

Do it.
Martin
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

I had no joy with the alarm batteries. Had to buy a new one every year and it struggled to charge on the scooter, continuously took it off to mains charge in the garage. I suspect they don't like the cold and the vibration.....

Fitted a "wet" cell battery in one of them rear oil carriers and not had any issues.
Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

The space

ImageIMG_2857 1 by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

PX Battery tray with side dremelled off and attached to back of toolbox where your air filter normally goes.

ImageIMG_2858 1 by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

bought this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301855488535? ... EBIDX%3AIT

which is a AGM better and service free version of http://www.mdsbattery.co.uk/shop/produc ... oupID=1029 which is what I did have and was tired through being run down

and all fitted.

ImageIMG_2864 1 by Donnie Canning, on Flickr
Donnie.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

MOre or less the same

"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
ArmandTanzarian

I put my battery here. works well but its a pain in the bum if you get a puncture.

Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
Burnside
Main scooter: Lambretta TV200

I'm using an alarm battery on my API, it doesn't have a battery tray so is sitting between the rear mudguard and frame loop. Been in there for about 4 years and hasn't run flat yet.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information