Anti dive.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

Hi all, is anti dive a must have thing on a disc brake? I'm toying with the idea of fitting one to my existing ScootRS set up. I've got MB progressive springs and BGM dampers fitted and heard these eliminate the need for anti dive. Is this the case? Any advice gratefully received. Thanks in advance Pete.
alanscottj
Main scooter: Lambretta GP SS250 Casa

10 inch Terror wrote:Hi all, is anti dive a must have thing on a disc brake? I'm toying with the idea of fitting one to my existing ScootRS set up. I've got MB progressive springs and BGM dampers fitted and heard these eliminate the need for anti dive. Is this the case? Any advice gratefully received. Thanks in advance Pete.
Same here mate, thinking about adding the anti-dive so will be following with interest :D
Lambretta Series 2 Rat - RB260, SuperTourer, Cyclone 5 gearbox 😎👍
sydduckett

I have the same set up as yours. The anti dive was added after and definitely stiffens everything up. Is it really needed im not so sure? How does it feel without? In a way you want a little movment but the anti dive pretty much takes evrything out
wrecklessrobbie
Main scooter: li150

I have bought a scootrs disc brake with anti dive. It came in the biggest box ever from germany. Box was about three foot by three foot by three foot :shock:

I am no where near fitting it yet.... Dont ask... 11 years ive been trying to restore this scooter!!

I spoke to the guys at AF rayspeed about anti dive.... They said its a waste of money and probably dangerous if not set up right. Apparently you need the damping effect when braking.

So i am now sat wondering wether i should fit it or not. Am going to fit the disc brake but not sure about the anti dive and i also have to fit it under the Eibar mudguard.

Robbie
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

Anti dive is not as you guys are describing it. Anti dive stops the front end diving, but it doesn't stop the suspension working. The anti dive is there to maintain the steering geometry of the scooter will braking and steering.

If you are stationary and hold the front brake on, you can bounce up and down on the front end and the suspension will move.

I have built my own anti dive and I will be building the same for my next scooter.
Martin
wrecklessrobbie

Ill be honest im not sure how i am describing it or what i expect from it.

I got a rapido 200 engine built. Having ridden my fairly standard 175 for a while with drum brakes i decided i shoud upgrade to a disc brake. I know some say a drum brake can be very good.
I just bought the anti dive option as part of the package. I am hoping i can set it up correctly. If not i will have to get it looked at.
So by the sound of it Knowledge are you saying the anti dive is a good thing to fit and works well?

Robbie
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

As Martin said, antidive doesn't (or shouldn't) affect the operation of the suspension at all. It just stops the braking forces being transferred to the suspension.
I fitted the antidive to my scoot RS setup and it makes the scooter much nicer to ride IMHO, wouldn't be without it. It allows me to brake and corner at the same time, something not so easy with such a powerful front brake before fitting the antidive.

Last edited by Minority on Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Adyonekenobi
Main scooter: Li150 Special, now TS1 225cc

I have the ScootRS front external disc brake and I added the anti dive after using the scooter without it.
This dic brake is powerful and I use only one or two fingers to operate the front brake.
In use this powerful brake can make the front end dive quite a lot - adding the (adjustable) anti dive and experimenting with the positioning of it has improved the feel and operation of the brake for me.
The front suspension (with BGM front dampers and std. springs) still works as before, it just no longer sends the front end down to the bump stops when braking hard, which sometimes we have to do occasionally !

If anyone thinks uprated front dampers reduces dive, they are mistaken. I run my front dampers on the softest setting and I am happy at that, too stiff a setting makes the ride very harsh.
Spanner check the running gear before every outing, like in the Army. You know it makes sense!
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Most dampers will not stiffen up the suspensions on compression, nor will they reduce dive in braking. They are designed to damp the rebound caused by the extension of the compressed spring.

Fitting stiffer springs may help reduce this tendency to dive under braking load but will not cure it and make the front end too hard on bumpy surfaces.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
wrecklessrobbie

I shall fit my anti dive.
:)

Robbie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information