Which carb for TS1?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

I'm in the process of building a ts1 and am trying to decide on a carb.

I've had the barrel tuned for torque rather than balls-out power and will be using a clubman, but not 100% sure which one yet.

It's going in a series 2, so I don't think panel clearance is an issue, but then again I won't know until I fit it so it's still a consideration. I will definitely not be cutting a hole in the side panel. The plan is to run a filter, either breathe sweet or marchald.

Obvious options are

Phbh30 - cheap, worst panel clearance

Tmx30 - d slide, better panel clearance, power jet, Atomiser wears out allegedly.

Vhsh30 - expensive, flat slide, good panel clearance, apparently it's a "better" carb.

Any advice welcome
dansacred
Main scooter: li 150 series 3

28mm pwk from bgm, small enough you will fit a filter and simple to setup
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Slides wear badly on a lot of the PWK copies, genuine Keihn supposed to be better but 3 x the price.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
hendy

dansacred wrote:28mm pwk from bgm, small enough you will fit a filter and simple to setup
I believe they were more trouble than they were worth and that may be why mb have been out of stock for so long
gaz_powell

I was going to use a PWK type but after chatting with a few people went with a 30mm phbh on my steel lined TS1 200 (66mm yam piston with 115 yam rod) and its fine - it was built not to be the fastest but an economical rally hack with a reasonable performance over standard - first real run out to Whitby demonstrated it does what it was built to do - so i`m happy with the choice.

I know of some bigger faster TS1 motors using the 30mm phbh with great success.

I have two other TS1 225s using 34mm VHSB - I`m going to swap one of them with a PHBH and see how that works.

there is a dealer doing a great price on them (jetted to your requirements)
hendy

Gaz, thanks, interesting stuff.

I suppose the question becomes am I going to get better performance from one of the more expensive options or am I just going to be a little poorer?

There must be some advantage to the vhsh (for example) other than making Mr dellorto richer. Or is it that I'd only notice on a highly tuned motor?
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

The flat slides are more responsive and are narrower (better) clearance................
gaz_powell

I think the general consensus is that they are more responsive.

Bit more info on my phbh use is its on a s2 on smaller capacity motor than my 225s and to be honest after this weekends run out it felt right.

Ive got an MB flat filter and it fits under the panel no problem but haven't tried it yet

a good friend of mine runs a 230 TS1 on one - it was him who pushed me down the route and I m glad he did

As said ive just bought a stepped manifold to try one on one of my 225s.

another good friend swapped to one from a 34mm Amal on his TS1 200 and he`s over the moon - savings on juice are good with very little affect on performance.

certainly worth a try for the price they can be obtained if you shop around.
bazza3004

I currently run a 30phbh on my TS1230 and recently asked a very well known tuner who dynod my scoot if it would be worth upping to a 35mm mikuni. He said for what it would cost the increase in performance would not be worth it.
hendy

Thanks bazza, I'm definitely going with 30mm, especially as I'll be using a clubman.

The question is really if the extra cost for a vhsh ( £160 vs £100) is worth it.

I think I've discounted the mikuni tmx30 as it's almost the same price as the vhsh but I don't like the idea of blanking off the power jet as it feels like a bodge.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information