Which carb for TS1?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Darrell Taylor
Dealer
Main scooter: LAMBRETTA

id maybe go 28mm dellorto but 30 be more than fine and lots of set up data amassed if rpm is low and hp is low as is the case on a clubman ,be good to use a smaller reed set up too that i could recommend along with an inlet that will give more panel clearance
feel free to use this link to contact me on facebook and like it(if u like it)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Taylor-T ... 8819767924
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

Darrell Taylor wrote:id maybe go 28mm dellorto but 30 be more than fine and lots of set up data amassed if rpm is low and hp is low as is the case on a clubman ,be good to use a smaller reed set up too that i could recommend along with an inlet that will give more panel clearance
Thanks darrell, again interesting food for thought.

I knew smaller was the way to go for the sort of set up I'm after, but wouldn't have thought to drop down to 28.

I've already got my reed; it's a bgm rd350 with packer plate. I've also got an mb small inlet to suit the sort of carb I'm looking at.
Darrell Taylor
Dealer

the rd350 reed is too big its the worst performer and more so on a smaller carb ,you can improve it with an insert and also with a set of boyessen dual stage reeds
hendy

Darrell Taylor wrote:the rd350 reed is too big its the worst performer and more so on a smaller carb ,you can improve it with an insert and also with a set of boyessen dual stage reeds
Got any more good news? Which reed should I be looking at? I'm not keen to replace parts I've already bought but I'm even less keen on building a motor that performs below par.
Darrell Taylor
Dealer

the std ts reed with stops is good and durable,the latest with no stops is in need of packing out as the petals drop into the bore and are clipped by the piston ,the imola reed and alloy inlet i like best for small carb set ups ,the v force best for power but expensive to buy,petal replacement is expensive too,your rd reed is good durability but as its big in size needs an even bigger carb behind it to balance it out
Adyonekenobi
Main scooter: Li150 Special, now TS1 225cc

Hi.
My TS1 225 was set up and dynoed with a 30 mm VHSH carb and we saw 22.9 bhp on test.
Will pull in top gear from 20 mph and go on to 80 mph (on the road not dyno mph) so I'm happy.
Also will return about 45+ mpg or more if I can drive gently!

Dyno operator said 35 mm carb would be thirstiest but may make a little more power - I have a happy compromise.
Spanner check the running gear before every outing, like in the Army. You know it makes sense!
dansacred
Main scooter: li 150 series 3

the rd350 reed is too big its the worst performer and more so on a smaller carb ,you can improve it with an insert and also with a set of boyessen dual stage reeds
Hi Darrell, if im running the MB 30mm manifold would the 30mm round stuffer be the one to go for?
hendy

dansacred wrote:
Hi Darrell, if im running the MB 30mm manifold would the 30mm round stuffer be the one to go for?
now I'm getting lost!

is an "insert" a packer plate to move the reeds away from the piston or something else?

What about a stuffer? I thought the fingers on the MB inlet manifold that extend in between the reeds were stuffers, but you (dansacred) have the same manifold as me and are asking which round stuffer to add.
Darrell Taylor
Dealer

insert/stuffer think some german vespa sites sell them for rd 350 valve or some mb manifolds have the fingers as you say ,some dont so in that case a stuffer would help ,if your a handy person you could devcon fill the reed block and port the centre out to create your own stuffer which will help reduce the large area on the rd350 valve and improve it for smaller carb use
lozmondo

Thats interesting re Imola reeds. I tried a 24mm Mikuni on an Imola with an RD reed fitted and it was hopeless...needed to put a 30mmPHBH on to achieve any sort of power...may reverse things
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information