Scomadi fork issue series 3

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
razorlips
Main scooter: Li-3

vega125s wrote:I had the same issue , heating the first track and trying to gentle push it down resulted in the track snapping . Rang PM and they advised a bit of filing on the fork .
So the track fits now and the forks are in but the damper brackets are to high!
Like you it takes me a few years to build a scooter , I'm just a bit pissed that a lot of this stuff we buy from reputable dealers is so poor, I understand different tolerances/years / models but it's a common problem.
I guess you have read this post from the start and realised that I started off where you have just got to... I cant believe I now have another set of Scomadi's perfect forks fighting me.

Hoepfully this thread will pop-up from time to time and warn people that they are not quite the bolt-in and ride away solution that is claimed.

They are straight though! Might take a bit of getting used to - when I finally get to ride them.
challenger

Also had major problems with a set of Scomadi forks.
Luckily I dry built before having my forks plated :roll:
I bought another new dust cover and bearing track kit which fitted well, the forks wouldn't seat into the frame tube with the dust cover fitted and left a large gap after tightening the Fork upper collars. This gap allowed the bearings to move up and down and meant that the forks were loose and not usable. I tried 4 different dust covers from 4 different manufactures, no difference at all. The forks fitted without a dust cover so after faffing around for weeks on end and wasting time and money ordering parts, I fitted the forks without a dust cover. Not a good solution but a step back to the days of the series 1 which also didnt have a dust cover fitted on the first production runs.
Next problem was fitting the headset, the groove for the headset clamp bolt was 10mm too high causing a large gap between headset and horncasing. This was not caused by the missing dust cover as a dust cover is not 10mm thick.
I filed a new groove into the forks and welded the original one up.
Next up, fitting springs.
I had a set of stronger springs from MB, new stainless rods and balls (GP type) and my original GP200 disc links.
Using a good original type spring compessor I couldnt compress the springs enough to fit the Fork links so I took everything apart and measured the springs and rods against my original parts. Every part was the same lenghth but just to be sure, I built the parts into an original set of original GP forks which took no effort at all.
The obvious answer to the Problem fitting the Kit into the Scomadi forks is that the rod and spring stops had been welded too low down inside the Fork leg. Measuring against the GP original forks confirmed this.
I dont have the skill needed to reweld the stops, let alone removing the faulty ones so the perfect fit scomadi forks are sitting in the Garage corner gathering dust.
I bought them about a year before trying to fit them. Lesson learned, when I buy something now, I dry build it straight away.
The Shop who supplied the forks where sympathetic but as Id tried correcting the forks already they couldnt / wouldn't help.
I received no help from PM at all.
Funny though, I got a second hand pair of stainless scomadi forks from a mate which where already built, the only issue with this pair being the dust cover again. They’re fitted in my Scooter at the moment. I wouldn't get another set though.
chippy

After reading all this i am dreading the dry build as i have had the forks over a year and have not got around to it yet. I have found in past PM are keen enough to sell but not so keen to reply to a question about a problem
soulsurfer

Is this a batch issue, common on all variations, or outboard/standard damper type or since they were first released? I have a pair of the standard Li type, bought a few years back when they first came out, and now I'm really looking forward to using them :roll:
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
razorlips

soulsurfer wrote:Is this a batch issue, common on all variations, or outboard/standard damper type or since they were first released? I have a pair of the standard Li type, bought a few years back when they first came out, and now I'm really looking forward to using them :roll:
I have only had two sets... one is a few years old and had the outboard spring set-up (with the top damper mount fitted too high) and the other is a standard (s/steel) set which was received in the last month or so - and has the bearing track fitting issue... therefore, as these are from the earliest and most recently manufactured batches and are different designs and materials - I have to conclude that it is neither a batch related quality issue or a product type issue. Just poor design resulting from a lack of testing. It seems we are their beta testers.

Ray

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
soulsurfer

Cheers Ray.
I've not surfed the forums for a few years now, it's a shame to see stuff like this is still going on. I'm a great believer in sending this crap back, and making the supplier pay for the return too, however, your not alone in buying stuff in advance, and then finding the problem. At the end of the day though, these are still new items and in my opinion, in this case, PM still have some responsibility, I find a public show of poor quality on social media tends to yield results, but maybe go to Frank first?
I hope you find resolution with the TV, & that paint scheme looks awesome... any more pics, or are you saving the unveiling?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
chippy

soulsurfer wrote:Cheers Ray.
I've not surfed the forums for a few years now, it's a shame to see stuff like this is still going on. I'm a great believer in sending this crap back, and making the supplier pay for the return too, however, your not alone in buying stuff in advance, and then finding the problem. At the end of the day though, these are still new items and in my opinion, in this case, PM still have some responsibility, I find a public show of poor quality on social media tends to yield results, but maybe go to Frank first?
I hope you find resolution with the TV, & that paint scheme looks awesome... any more pics, or are you saving the unveiling?

I completely agree, with original stuff becoming more obsolete and expensive it is essential good quality remade parts are made available. I'm no engineer but I would have thought something as simple as a set of Lambretta forks should not be that difficult to get right
razorlips

Hi Vega... your advice was just the job... not happy to have to attack these forks like this... but at least the track will seat properly. Thanks.

Ray

razorlips

soulsurfer wrote:Cheers Ray.

Unveiling? May never happen... this is what the metalwork looked like in 2013 though... and to think I was one mudguard away from finishing when I started this post.

In case it looks odd, it is one of a series with some common themes... I will be 'two down and one to go' when this is done.

RayImage

soulsurfer

I like that a lot, I'll keep an eye out for when it's finished ;)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information