Bgm dampers on turning mudguard

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
sydduckett

I have a ratty series 2 with turning mudguard. I want to replace the dampers with BGM,s, but it's apparent I'm going to have to drop the forks to do it. Question I have is, is there a way to set it up for the future where you can do it without dropping the forks?

Ta
Sef
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

Interesting as I'll soon be doing the same.

Hopefully you can do all the trial and error so I can just copy :oops:

Joking aside, if the top bolt went in from the inside I reckon that might work. We'd have to cut a bolt to the right length plus only about 1mm. The outer hole in the top damper mount could be welded up then drilled and tapped; fitting a nutsert would be an alternative. The nutsert would give a longer thread.
sydduckett

hendy wrote:Interesting as I'll soon be doing the same.

Hopefully you can do all the trial and error so I can just copy :oops:

Joking aside, if the top bolt went in from the inside I reckon that might work. We'd have to cut a bolt to the right length plus only about 1mm. The outer hole in the top damper mount could be welded up then drilled and tapped; fitting a nutsert would be an alternative. The nutsert would give a longer thread.
yes but would you be able to get to it with everything else in situ. im also worried about the bottom edge raking down the side of the damper
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

with either of the methods I've suggested I reckon you'd need to add a plastic spacer to the outer mudguard mount in order to move it outward and away from the damper.

Also, I reckon you could get at it with everything in place but it would be awkward unless you removed the front wheel. Easy to get the wheel off, but nevertheless a thing you don't need to do with a fixed mudguard.
MarkH
Dealer

You shouldn't need to drop the forks. Loosen or remove all mounting points on the mudguard so it has some movement in every direction. You should gain enough access to remove the upper damper bolt. When you install the new dampers, place the bolt in from the inside this time as mentioned. I'd place washers behind the mudguard where it mounts to the fork legs if you need more clearance for the damper.
sydduckett

I think your right, as mines a rat i can sort of bend it a bit.... :D. Cant really do that with a nice paint job mind. I have seen one where the mudguard has a bit let out, like a long rounded bulge wher the damper sits. Bit of work but would allow you access. And looks a bit trick. Think it may have been on a vespa though :)
Ihateyoubutler

Just fitted some dampers to my scoot with turning mudguard using some lth alloy top mounts. Took horn cast off and the mudguard fixing screws and clamp and managed it, even though the very long damper mounting screws fit from the outside.
Wouldn't want to do it if I had a decent paint job though.
Geocamper
Main scooter: Tv175 S2- Li 150 S2 Eibar

I'll be doing this soon using Bgm''s. I'll be taking the forks out and replacing the bearings and fork springs also. I also will be welding brackets on for the dampers. Has anyone got the dimensions to do this or any pictures so I have a guide to see how far out from the fork the bracket goes?
soulsurfer

Geocamper wrote:I'll be doing this soon using Bgm''s. I'll be taking the forks out and replacing the bearings and fork springs also. I also will be welding brackets on for the dampers. Has anyone got the dimensions to do this or any pictures so I have a guide to see how far out from the fork the bracket goes?
Measurements are in Sticky's book ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
Geocamper
Main scooter: Tv175 S2- Li 150 S2 Eibar

Cheers Soulsurfer. I didn't think of looking in the book. Found and all sorted.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information