Ts1 - 225 Delly 30mm verses TMX 35

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
alanscottj
Main scooter: Lambretta GP SS250 Casa

Currently have a 30mm Dellorto PHBH on my TS1-225, I have the opportunity now to try a Mikini TMX 35. What's people's thoughts on the TMX? Am I likely to see much difference?

Many thanks :D
Lambretta Series 2 Rat - RB260, SuperTourer, Cyclone 5 gearbox ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

Did you ever get the Dell'orto set up correctly? You were going to get it on the dyno last month?

Please don't assume that just changing carb will make it easier to set up. The same principles apply to setting up a Mikuni as do a Dell'orto. I think the TMX has a fixed atomiser , possibly.
alanscottj

storkfoot wrote:Did you ever get the Dell'orto set up correctly? You were going to get it on the dyno last month?

Please don't assume that just changing carb will make it easier to set up. The same principles apply to setting up a Mikuni as do a Dell'orto. I think the TMX has a fixed atomiser , possibly.
Different engine mate, last month I was playing with the Mugello on a Series 2, this ones on my GP ;) it's running great btw :D
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

Oh, ok, sorry. In answer to your question then, I can't comment (no experience of a TMX) :-)
bazza3004

I recently asked this same question to darrell taylor as i was taking my scoot up for some runs/work on his dyno. He told me the difference in performance would not be worth the cost of the carb.
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

Swopped to a TMX 35 on my Avanti and noticed a big difference. More power and swifter response. Slightly less mpg and doesn't kick off quite as easy but may need tinkering with. As it runs so well when going i'm inclined to leave it as is.
soosh
Main scooter: GP RS200 Iron barrel

mick1 wrote:Swopped to a TMX 35 on my Avanti and noticed a big difference. More power and swifter response. Slightly less mpg and doesn't kick off quite as easy but may need tinkering with. As it runs so well when going i'm inclined to leave it as is.
What did you have before and was that setup perfectly?
stokky

can't comment against a 30m

Have a few bikes with mikuni's, in fact swapped over from Dellorto 34's

I find easier to set up, better fuel economy and less spit back
alanscottj

I suppose its going to be like most things in Scootering, some think it'll be worth it others may not. Just interested to hear if there may be any improvements as I already have the carb I'm just building motivation to try it :D
paulnobodyimportant
Main scooter: varies

I've a 30PHBH with power jet on a Monza 225 and a TMX35 on a TS1. Both dynod and approximately the same 20BHP. In reality, a slight discernible difference for me. The TMX does show far better response to the throttle and revs far quicker, only because its a flat side that controls the air flow far better than a round slide when accelerating. But all of this could also be down to other factors within my scooter engine setups.

But, if I was to choose between both it would be the TMX, far easier to set up as it has a fixed atomizer, so you are only fiddling with the needle. However, this fixed atomizer is its achilles heel, in that it wears with time and cannot be replaced. You get over this by changing to leaner needles, until you run out of options. Its OK for me as I don't do yearly mile munching trips, which would clearly wear out the atomizer faster than I have, especially if you run open mouthed.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information