flywheel weight

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
handofdave
Main scooter: li ts1

opinions please on which weight flywheel to run on my mugello?
thanks
dave
olliewtf
Main scooter: Lambretta Li S3

what exhaust are you running? do you do much 2 up riding?
I recently went from mid to heavy, as my mid (2kg) sheared. the heavy was a spare. Im planning to go super light though.
The standard 2.6 flywheel (heavy) makes the engine really tractable low down. Tickover is solid, the revs rise slowly and feels really punchy. My tune works higher in the rev range, but with the jl3 (soon to be a more racy exhaust) i have on this flywheel weight makes round town riding really easy.
Mid weight was good too, but needed a few more revs from the off to get it to go. once it did go it span up easier and reached the power quicker.
Due to me revising my set up i will try a lighter flywheel (af light at 1.4?) as it will complement my set up.
That last part is key; if your running a clubman or low revving expansion i would suggest the heavy flywheel. mugello state of tune isnt balls out revs anyway.
Only downside is the weight sits on your crank, and this can lead to crank twisting if your not careful.

clear as mud i know. exhaust and set up is key here.
handofdave

hi ollie thanks for the reply used to run heavy flywheel on another mugello and it was good but have geared this one high(4.8) for touring and concerned the acceleration might suffer too much,ancillotti pipe,i ran a af light on a ts1 till it dissintegrated and put a heavy one on for a change and noticed it really labours the power on a race pipe
cheers
dave
tippo88

Don't want to hijack the thread but wondering how much variation in flywheel weight makes a difference . I'm building a lightly tuned SR 185 with 28/30 PWK and scootopia clubman . Have an AF flywheel that weighs 2.2 kg. For some reason had 2kg in my head as being good so was thinking of having it lightened slightly but perhaps this would be a waste of time ?

Thanks

Tippo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
olliewtf
Main scooter: Lambretta Li S3

To the OP, seems youve answered your own question, mid weight is the way for sure!

to tippo,
Doubt you would notice the difference tbh.
tippo88

Thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lozmondo

Indian flywheel lightened to 2kg, every other fin removed and balanced. Never an issue on an SR kit
handofdave

has anybody tried the lightened ones on ebay from willenhall?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information