Transfer tuning on RT195

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Grant McLachlan
Main scooter: Indian GP RT 225

I'm currently building an RT195 and am considering opening the transfers on the block and then matching to the cylinder. Is this really worth the effort ? are the gains noticeable ? Gonna be using a BGM clubman, 28 Dellorto and gearing around 4.95.1 crank 58/107.
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

hi grant I have just built my rt195 and all I did was smooth off the transfer ports on the casing as they were just proud by about 4mm as youplace the barrel on there is no need to do anything else as it is designed to fit any small block casing I have a Spanish li150 and I had no problems just follow fitting instructions on website I ended up with the 0.7 base gasket no head gasket and a1.17 squish just make sure the top of piston is level with the bottom of the transfer ports at bdc and that should leave 0.5 to1mm below the exhaust port I also fitted the mb exhaust with 30mm dele mb uprated clutch springs I had it dynode at 14.08 hp with 13.68 lb tourqe sits at 60 65 allday I have just built my friends aswell same kit all we do is smile all the time as were riding a fantastic kit
Grant McLachlan

Thanks for your reply Gary, I would certainly be happy with 14 hp. While my engine is virtually bare I am considering opening the transfers but I don't know if the benefit would justify it, 14hp and speeds of 60-65 from a small block touring kit with a clubman seem ok to me. My everyday scooter is an RT225 with 28mm Dell and a JL exhaust it goes really well I think these kits are great.
garry inglis

although the mb exhaust is made for the kit and it works great I am getting power from 2500 revs up to 65000 an expantion like atsr or taffy touring would give another 5hp
Grant McLachlan

This engine will be going back into its original 1965 LI 125 frame so at the moment I'm favouring a standard look. I'm aiming for a torquey decent performer that will cope well with the hills around my local area and give a respectable cruising speed. I'm hoping to use this scooter for the Euro in Italy in 2017, I do have a brand new PM copy expansion hanging on the shed wall.......so who knows I may well try it
garry inglis

sounds good I think were on for Italy next year going to be special that trip well all I can say is I would trust the 195 to get you there
Grant McLachlan

Yeah ! I have no real worries about the kit just want to get the best set up I can with it. I used the RT 225 earlier this year to go to the euro in Austria, performed flawlessly with excellent fuel consumption, even with an open mouth carb and an expansion. A round trip of 1800 miles and only around 300 miles on the kit before I left.
Lamaddict

All good to hear and the newer kits have a better piston I believe. I would still love to see a comparison between them and the GT186. I've got a GT186 and it's perfect. It sounds similar to the RT195 with the revs and exhausts. My GT186 revs to just over 6000 with a Clubman on and does a GPS 65MPH, adding an expansion pipe onto it would push up the revs and would hit a true 70+ I would think. Gearing is Li125 gearbox, running 16x46.
garry inglis

hi lamaddict I no the gt186 kit is great and well tested I have read the gt big block thread with eden testing the 200 kits that's my next project
Grant McLachlan

Hi Lamaddict, gearing has been one of my biggest headaches, the original LI 125 gearbox with a non standard 17 x 46 gives around 4.95.1 which sounds great however I've no idea if this will actually work in reality (jumps between gears ?). If its unworkable then I have the option of a Jet 200 box but I think this would be to long for the hilly area I live in. Using the original box with 16x46 gives 5.3.1 which although gives me torque I still think would give the kit a hard life. If all else fails I'll have to bite the bullet and buy an Indian GP 200 box which would be a good compromise I suppose. The more I read about the GT's the more I like them read valve, power delivery and the ability to re-bore, however with my experience of an RT thus far I can't fault it. A comparison would be good however ultimately subjective as different people want and expect different things, I suspect a comparison would just give me another headache.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information