Standard Exhaust?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Lamaddict

Over the years, I have gone down in carb size but have still defaulted to a Clubman on all my scoots. Has anyone gone back to a standard exhaust on a 200 with decent results? I remember years ago talking to someone that when back to standard for a reason and was happy with it.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

I've been at least as happy running the later GP spec pipes, which rev so much better than the internal 'mushroom' baffle exhausts. The earlier type really strange a GT, SX150 or GP (all cc),
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

I think on a standard'ish set up you'd probably never notice the difference. You might even find you prefer it. I think they run nice and cleanly personally speaking.
Lamaddict

Adam_Winstone wrote:I've been at least as happy running the later GP spec pipes, which rev so much better than the internal 'mushroom' baffle exhausts. The earlier type really strange a GT, SX150 or GP (all cc),
Thanks but how do you tell the difference, isn't the 'mushroom' inside?

Does anyone know where to get the better later copies?
Doom Patrol

I don't think anyone is currently manufacturing the mushroom one. Tuttu (?) Lambretta remade both types to original specs I think. But, I haven't seen any of their exhausts around for a while. Probably your best bet is Scooter Restorations and a Casa one.
eibarlad

I'm running a standard jet(sx) engine with a standard GP exhaust & it is a pleasure to ride. Town riding especially & plenty of torque to smoothly accelerate in 4th upto late 50's early 60's.
The other jet I'm in the process of building has a standard (1st version) TV200 engine spec. The only tuning done is punching a hole in the mushroom.
vegansydney

Lamaddict wrote:Thanks but how do you tell the difference, isn't the 'mushroom' inside?
You can see the 'mushroom' baffle (or lack thereof) by shining a light down the exhaust (see picture below).

IMHO Tutto Lambretta exhausts are far superior exhausts in regards to quality and fitment. Given the price difference between TL and Casa is marginal (~€10), it's an easy decision. I'd post comparison pictures but the last 2 Casa exhausts I purchased were so bad they went straight back. One Casa exhaust was so dire I threw it in a suitcase for a recent trip to Milan to show Vittorio personally.

The TL exhausts are readily available, either direct from TL or STF, Olimpia or any of their international dealers.

Last edited by vegansydney on Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doom Patrol

That's good news. I haven't seen one for a while. I assumed they must wait and make them in batches, or something.
scooterslag

I've run a few scoots with clubmans and while you do gain a bit of topend and acceleration - I prefer the smoothness and tractability of a standard pipe, going to build up a mild tune 175 with the standard plumbing, more into ridability than trashing about these days. Not a Lammy but I remember a friend using a standard pipe on a Malossi T5 engine, lovely to ride. Paul
The mack daddy on the left!
Mr G in NYC
Main scooter: SX200

Just finished a Rusto resto on a SX200, 25mm carb and an original GP200 pipe
+ some light matching and porting and have to say its a beauty to ride , lots of low end torque and a good
turn of speed , top speed just shy of 70. mph. and very smooth . 8-) G.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information