bad starting rb

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
rbgaz
Main scooter: gp rb230 dragster 180lc

hi all my rb 230 is a pig to start nowdays i have to cover the open mouth tm35 carb and kick it 20 plus times once it fires up it runs fine and starts easy when hot compression is ok any ideas
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

that could be worn rings
coaster

Have you tried choking it with your hand over the carb? My guess would be that the choke isn't opening enough or at all. I had this exact problem with my TS1 earlier a while back, it was so hard to start I busted the kickstart :shock: Eventually found that the nipple had come out of the back of the choke lever and the choke wasn't operating at all :oops:
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Could be reed petals
22/2

I've just rebuilt the top end of my 250 as the starting was becoming more difficult, not to the level you describe the bottom ring was stuck in, back to normal now.

There is obviously something wrong you need to get it apart and have a look, it'll be cheaper than if something is wrong and it breaks, do it now before spring comes.
Mr G in NYC
Main scooter: SX200

Adam_Winstone wrote:Could be reed petals
+ One . G
rbgaz

The reeds are newish. I've had several sets of reeds fail in the past but not like this and yes I have to cover the mouth of carb with a cloth this is only way it will ever start
dennis
Main scooter: 1 gp 1 special

Be very careful covering carb with cloth,i did that with some blue paper towel it sucked it straight through and out the exhaust,made us laugh afterwords tho.
coaster

dennis wrote:Be very careful covering carb with cloth,i did that with some blue paper towel it sucked it straight through and out the exhaust,made us laugh afterwords tho.
My younger brother did that with his Garreli Rekord back in the early 70's. Sucked a lump of rag right in which compacted in the cylinder head :roll: He had to take the head off to get it out, how I laughed :lol:
rbgaz

I only use the missus finest tea towels ! Lol
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information