Issue with Rapido

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
whonatic

I'm running a Rapido 230 / reed valve / dt250 piston / 30mm phbh / bgm clubman / standard Indian electronic / dynoed to set jetting / about a 1000 miles old - it GPS'd at 74mph all good - but after about 20 mile, it will Lose power. It will kind of pull back and won't go over 50 - 55. I've rebuilt the top end twice so far.... I thought it was blowing from the head but leak down test showed no bubbles or leaks :)

The engine pulls amazing it just reaches this point where it's had enough and won't let me go full throttle.

I'm stuck!!

Also - does the piston have to be right at the bottom of its travel to do a proper leak down test or doesn't it matter?
Any help greatly appreciated !! :?:
coaster

The transfers would need to be open but it wouldn't matter if only partially open. What's your compression like? and what carb are you using?
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

Rings sticking when warm ?

Could be electrical, are you using an auto advance/retard ?
whonatic

Running a 30mm phbh with breathe sweet. Not running any advance / retard. Not sure of the compression ratio ( oops ) :oops: !!

I did have an issue with over run and when it got warm so increased the size of the packer to increase the squish ( now about 1.7 men ) and that solved that.
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

Try another CDI first
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

I would expect this to be electrical. First thing to do is to try running it with the green from the loom taken out of the CDI (leave the one from stator in), which will bypass the switch, which could be breaking down once internal soldered joints get hot. As already said, a change of CDI is the next thing to swap out to check, then the stator. If your standard Indian electrics are indeed standard Indian, then I'd not be surprised if it is the stator failing (probably low tension coil) but try those other easy tests first.

If it's not that, time to thing again.

Adam
whonatic

Thanks for all the advice

However, having broken my wrist and smashed my Other scooter Sunday, this will all be logged for when I can turn a spanner again in 3 months :oops: :cry: :cry:
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

Jeeez,thats a bugger !!
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

Ouch !!!
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Bad Luck! Hope you're better soon.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information