Lost piston ring peg

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
shocky

GeorgeS wrote:Whilst these sort of reports are concerning (as I'm interested in the RT225/230 kit myself), I keep reminding myself that bad news always travels further & faster than good and for each person who's had a failure there'll hopefully be dozens who haven't.

Surely all kits kill experience failures from time-to-time, but could you say if these are any worse or better than others? Everyone has their own way of doing things, can the way a kit is assembled contribute to it's failure?

All the best,
George.
could be the ring gap ? Which reminds me of the kit a friend gotfrom a well known dealer in the fitting instructions it said check the ring gap he rang them up while I was there and asked why HE had to check it on a new kit and that it should be supplied already gapped they said thats just the way it is he then said do you think ive just sailed up the thames on the first banana boat you doppy cnut at that the phone went dead .....those religious types have no sence of humour :lol:
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
kejj

purple_pill67
Main scooter: Jet200

Did it have the gap checked/new rings after the first 1-1.5k as recommended?
I have an RT225 too.
shamrockexpress

For get about the ring peg falling out looks like his hair has fallen out................!!!!!! looking a bit clean and tidy their Martin you,ll be gettin a shiny paint job next, you could nearly be mistaking for a Canadian tourist.
I,d suppose you,ll be gettin a few MPH with all that hair offffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff!

Back on topic i certainly hope none of you fellow scooterist have bought me a surprise RT kit for xmas!!!!!!!!!!! I will happily stick to the GT kits for me i personally have nt heard of any piston issues with the mitikas,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

ps did sticky make it home on the second kit?
kejj

My RT 195 did 450km before letting go of the ring peg. I'm amazed of the level of damage.

In iron Lambretta cylinders we trust!
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

eden wrote:Decent pistons handle pegs dropping out much better than other pistons.
This just needed a new piston and has done many miles since :) barrel and bore being iron had little damage.

What piston and kit was that Eden? Looks like a Yam/Mitaka?
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

looks like an rd 350; is it?
C’est la vie
skidmark

purple_pill67 wrote:Did it have the gap checked/new rings after the first 1-1.5k as recommended?
I have an RT225 too.
Where did you get this info from ?
GP Kevo
Main scooter: 1969 150 DL / GP225 TS1

I have had two instances of ring peg failure. The first was on my TS1 200. The piston was a genuine Yamaha IT175. The ring caught on the exhaust port and destroyed the port and piston. The second time was on the same cylinder, bored out to 70 mm, and using an MB RT piston (made in UK - this was long before the RT kits). The same thing happened - the upper ring peg dropped, the ring spun round and caught on the upper lip of the exhaust port, doing extensive cylinder and piston damage. The cylinder went off to MB for a repair, overbore to 71 mm, and replate and was supplied with a new made in UK MB piston. That was flawless and I used the scooter daily after I moved to Poland, until one day, I fueled up in the city center, and I remember the fuel smelt much like vodka that day, and my big end bearing went 500 meters after fueling.

Both of these ring peg failures occurred in Ireland, after having been run very hard. The first time when riding through the Wicklow Mountains, the second time descending mountains from north of West Cork. In the second instance, I was on my way home (in Skibereen) from a rally up in Co. Kildare, and I had taken the brand new motorway for most of my southward journey. On the motorway, the engine overheated after about 20 minutes of about 75 mph. Overheating the piston may have caused the ring peg to loosen.

At any rate, that particular scooter (my GP200) has never been reliable. It has seized as a Honda 205 and TS1 200, and then had the ring peg failures described above. When I originally bought the scooter, back in 1999, the engine case had a hole in it where it looked like a conrod had snapped and come through the casing, just below the bump stop. I had the case welded and repaired and hadn't thought much about since then, until I thought I saw cracks (what turned out to be casting flashes) and I sent the crankcase to MB, and found out that the case had "sagged", or deformed, around the welded repair. He couldn't get the mag flange to seal against the crankcase. This has probably been the case all along throughout my ownership of the scooter. As the engine got hotter, the magflange leaked worse. So MB repaired the case, re-faced and measured it and now I hope it will be reliable. I'll build it this year provided I can afford all the parts, bearings and seals, which are prohibitively expensive as I am earning a declining Polish currency.
purple_pill67
Main scooter: Jet200

skidmark wrote:
purple_pill67 wrote:Did it have the gap checked/new rings after the first 1-1.5k as recommended?
I have an RT225 too.
Where did you get this info from ?
I did ask Slacker what maintenance it needed from new but its also on here about a few paragraphs down

http://www.lambrettaspares.com/info/set ... -+163.html
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information