Lost piston ring peg

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

purple_pill67 wrote:
skidmark wrote:
purple_pill67 wrote:Did it have the gap checked/new rings after the first 1-1.5k as recommended?
I have an RT225 too.
Where did you get this info from ?
I did ask Slacker what maintenance it needed from new but its also on here about a few paragraphs down

http://www.lambrettaspares.com/info/set ... -+163.html
this paragraph? mtx piston?
"From new it's always best long term to check ring gaps as the engine is run in at around 1000 miles and replace them if worn. We always found Honda MTX pistons would wear at 1000 - 1500 miles, the bore and piston would be fine, change the rings and they would last thousands of miles afterwards. Worn rings usually show black blow past down the side of the top half of the piston below the rings. The classic symptom of worn rings is lower compression to when the engine was first built and bad starting. But as a warning we have seen rings wear so much that they have spun over the pegs and blown up at 600 miles!"
C’est la vie
Spursy
Main scooter: Series 2 Bgm Race-Tour

Mine did that this year ,,,, took it back to mb got a new kit under warranty ,,,,,, still happy with my rt too
Spanish Fly
Main scooter: P200e

Am I reading this correctly?
The original rings will probably wear out within a 1000 miles but their replacements will last for many 1000's?
:oops: :?:

SF
eden
Dealer

Sounds like bollox to me.
YAMLAM

eden wrote:Sounds like bollox to me.
:roll:
i second that emotion.
win or lose have a booze
dennis
Main scooter: 1 gp 1 special

Ah well,looks like another piece of expensive crap to go on the shelf.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Muppet wrote:looks like an rd 350; is it?
Looks like it?
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
eden
Dealer

drunkmunkey6969 wrote:
Muppet wrote:looks like an rd 350; is it?
Looks like it?
Details are in my Facebook photo albums :)
Was a standard GT that had been running for 18 months that had done close to every bsm event in that time. Not sure on exact miles covered before the peg dropped but between 6k and 8k. As I said a few posts ago, all it needed was a new piston. It didn't even need a rebore or hone ;) It's done a few thousand miles since.
purple_pill67
Main scooter: Jet200

Spanish Fly wrote:Am I reading this correctly?
The original rings will probably wear out within a 1000 miles but their replacements will last for many 1000's?
:oops: :?:

SF
Wouldn't that partly be to "wear in" the barrel from the factory?
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

"From new it's always best long term to check ring gaps as the engine is run in at around 1000 miles and replace them if worn. We always found Honda MTX pistons would wear at 1000 - 1500 miles, the bore and piston would be fine, change the rings and they would last thousands of miles afterwards. Worn rings usually show black blow past down the side of the top half of the piston below the rings. The classic symptom of worn rings is lower compression to when the engine was first built and bad starting. But as a warning we have seen rings wear so much that they have spun over the pegs and blown up at 600 miles!"

I suspect that MB are talking about cast cylinders in this paragraph as they mention that it should be run in at around 1000 miles.........a plated cylinder doesn't take anywhere near 1000 miles to run in.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information