EGT gauge.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

Hi all, I've bought a cheapy EGT gauge from eBay, and have a question regarding the sensor positioning. I have assess to and can Mig weld, so welding the sensor bung to my pipe shouldn't be a problem, it's where to weld it to get best results. I'm thinking as close to the stub as possible, without it fouling the holding spring ( NK rally ). I'd assume that's where the gasses are the hottest? If the gauge fails, I can replace it no problem, but the bung needs to be in the right place, as it'll be a bugger to move once welded. Any advice gratefully received. Pete.
matthew

The general consensus is weld the boss 100mm from the piston face.
10 inch Terror

matthew wrote:The general consensus is weld the boss 100mm from the piston face.
Cheers for that Chief.
coaster

10 inch Terror wrote:
matthew wrote:The general consensus is weld the boss 100mm from the piston face.
Cheers for that Chief.
That is true but it will very likely put it in a position where it might be fouled by the springs so do bare that in mind. Also, I positioned mine to the rear of the pipe thinking that it would be out of harms way....However, I was running into a very stiff headwind for most of the 100 or so miles back from the LCGB Derby 150 recently and the wind actually dragged to probe out of the boss, one soft seize followed by me running over the trailing probe :oops:
olliewtf
Main scooter: Lambretta Li S3

im looking to do a similar thing soon.
has anyone experimented with the position? I would assume most put it in the front?
and how close to 100mm does it have to be? I wouldve thought every time you take off and re attach the pipe it may seat sightly differently each time?
Muttley McLadd

What sort of a bung do you have? Mine came with a weld on piece that you put on the pipe, and the bung screws in/out of that.
Mine's on a coop, so out of harm's way. I'd imagine there'd be room on the left or right of a Lambretta pipe though.
CakeAndArseParty
dave411
Main scooter: Li 125

Whats a coop?
10 inch Terror

I've ordered a mild steel bung from an online plumbing supplier. Mine came with a stainless bung but I haven't got any stainless wire for my welder. I'm going to have a look tomorrow for the best place to fit it.
YAMLAM

i use the long m8 cylinder head nut retapped to the correct thread(1/8" BSPT) then weld that on.
win or lose have a booze
10 inch Terror

YAMLAM wrote:i use the long m8 cylinder head nut retapped to the correct thread(1/8" BSPT) then weld that on.
A decent tap is £15 ish and the bung I ordered was £2.25 posted. I'm not tight but I'd only use the tap once.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information