Excessive Kickstart travel

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
challenger

I recently had a Motor Rebuilt by a Dealer which I finally got around to Fitting about a fortnight ago.
I took the scooter off the work bench last night and tried the kickstart.

I havent got around to finishing the wiring yet, so I wasnt trying to start the scooter.

The Kickstart seems to have more travel before engaging than I think is usual.
I can depress the kickstart about a third of the way down before it engages, should I be worried?
The kickstart also Returns to its normal Position, but slowler over the last third of travel.

I think ill be getting starting Problems, the Motor is tuned and has bags of compression.
The kickstart play is worrying me because the kickstart engages quite low down which means I havent got a lot of Engagement on the gearbox to start the Motor.

Hope that makes sense ?

Apreciatte any views on this as the Motor is still covered by the Garantee and could be repaired without cost.
challenger

Ps. the Motor was tested and set up on the dyno, the Motor was started over the dyno rollers and not with the kickstart. ( Bump start on dyno).
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

any idea what end plate has been fitted?

If its the early one (and preferable in my view), then there will be a separate kick start ramp bolted to the rear of the crank case- this can be adjusted up and down so the K/S "bites" as early as possible.

If its the later one with the built in ramp on the end plate- these are non adjustable I'm afraid.

Before doing anything, it MIGHT be possible to move the actual K/S round the splines so it engages sooner.

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
challenger

Thanks. Its a GP, so non adjustable.
Ill try the ks higher up on the splines, would have thought that the guys who built the motor would have done that though.
When I picked the engine up from the shop, they talked about fitting a longer rubber buffer to take up the excessive play, so theyre aware of the problem already
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

I have a GP 200 engine and the K/S pedal goes down about half its travel before it locates and turns the engine.I have tried locating the pedal higher on the splines but it then becomes to high,the engine does start on the first or second kick but it is very frustrating not to have it locating straight away.
shocky

I just checked mine from the top of the pedal to the floor is 290mm the first 60mm of travel does nothing , I tried moving it around one spline and even with the rebound rubber removed it still engaged so I think its pretty normal
The dealer said a longer rubber ? All that will do is push the kick start down it wont make it actually engage earlier sounds like a bodge to me and I would question anyones reason to do that
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
roadrunnerian

hi my scooter has a bit of travel before engaging the kick start tuned engine as well find when engine is cold to start the scooter straddling the scooter is best leaning the scooter over to get a long kick stroke.i also find that you are better priming the stroke to you find the piston at the top then go for it works for me and fires first time :D ps with no throttle
challenger

Ok. Thanks for all the answers. Put my mind at rest. Hope it starts ok after I get round to doing the wiring :-D
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

hi, there,
i had the same issue with my rb, i think its to do with where your kickstart and or shaft came from, mine is a gp and i needed a bigger kick, so i cut the kickstart ramp off the gearbox endplate, and tapped the engine cover and fitted an adjustable ramp off a tv, it was just 3 holes to drill and tap, the cover even had 3 little casting marks to show me where to drill, then used an m8 tap i think, worked a treat with a bit of adjusting,
holty
phil23fair
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 250 Special

holty wrote:i cut the kickstart ramp off the gearbox endplate, and tapped the engine cover and fitted an adjustable ramp off a tv, it was just 3 holes to drill and tap, the cover even had 3 little casting marks to show me where to drill, then used an m8 tap i think, worked a treat with a bit of adjusting,
holty
I did the same it's really quite easy to do and just like holty says, it works a treat
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information