Electronic ignition conversion - AC or DC?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Nerdy Norm
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 150 S3

I'm looking to change a Series 2 over to electronic ignition, but I'm a bit confused about the options available.

I'll probably go for the BGM stator/regulator/CDI kit, but I see that they make 2 versions - one AC and one AC/DC combined.

I don't envisage fitting a battery (it's a non-battery model), and the only other electrical upgrade I'm planning on doing is to fit an LED rear light. I'm not interested in powering extra lights, sat-navs, etc.

Can someone explain to me the pros and cons of using AC or DC in this setup?

Many thanks!
Lambretta LI125 Series 2, Lambretta LI150 Series 3, Lambretta J100 Cento, LML Star 150 2T
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Ideally if you want to run LEDs you should use DC, which either means a battery or a capacitor to smooth the voltage. The battery doesn't need to be very big.

Also bear in mind that most electronic kits are designed for the GP crank unless you get one specifically for the Li style.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Nerdy Norm

Thanks - I was hoping to get away without a battery, but if it's necessary to run the LED rear light, then so be it. This is the regulator I'll be using:
http://www.scooter-center.com/product/BGM6690

For the flywheel, I'm planning on using the SIL one which I've taken off my Series 3 LI (Indian ignition kit already fitted when I bought it). It's definitely for an LI crank - I know that because I recently changed the S3 to a GP crank, and had to get a new flywheel to go with it.

I take it that the BGM stators don't care which crank size you are using?
Lambretta LI125 Series 2, Lambretta LI150 Series 3, Lambretta J100 Cento, LML Star 150 2T
Daggs

There are LED lamps available that work fine on AC.
firekdp

Nerdy Norm wrote:This is the regulator I'll be using:
http://www.scooter-center.com/product/BGM6690
If you're using an Asian reg/rec, then you may as well get an AC stator, as main lights will have to be AC. This means (with standard series 2 switches) that even with a battery fitted the tail will run AC when main lights are on.
Nerdy Norm

Thanks Firekdp - does that apply to the BGM regulator I linked to?
Nerdy Norm

Thanks Daggs - yes, it seems that both the BGM and Atomic LED boards work on both AC and DC.

So the original light switch will only work if fed with AC, not DC?

I'm not sure I'm getting any further forward with whether I need to go for AC or DC :(
jason frost
Dealer

Fit the DC one and wire it up to the reg to run AC , then if at a later date you want to go full DC you can without having to take the stator off.
firekdp

Nerdy Norm wrote:Thanks Firekdp - does that apply to the BGM regulator I linked to?
Yes.
If you are contemplating fitting a battery, I'd ditch the idea of using the AC/DC reg and go all DC using a full wave rectifier.
Nerdy Norm

I don't really want to fit a battery unless it's necessary. I'd prefer to keep it as simple as possible, but with the best performance.

The only non-standard thing I would like is the LED tail-lamp.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information