R1 Shock Snapped !

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
shocky

there are small end bearings that fit
http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p9593/ ... _info.html
http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p8057/ ... _info.html
both bearings are approx 2 mm shorter than the lug hole so the nut would need to be left slightly loose again
ian re the wear i use a form of nylon in my bushes now and with all the coppa slip i dont think wear will be a problem but if it is my bushes are only £5 a set as a replacement to anyone who has had a shock of me i DONT HAVE ANY AT THE MOMENT
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
Snails

Where can you get nylocs for the shock from? Dont mind cutting them in half myself.
soulsurfer

Snails wrote:Where can you get nylocs for the shock from? Dont mind cutting them in half myself.
http://www.lambrettaspares.com/sparepar ... 0144k.html
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
shocky

http://www.scooterrestorations.com/lamb ... nyloc-nut/
just to say i am now using the roller bearings on a trial basis and will let you know how it all pans out
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
soullad
Dealer

Snails - also try to get hold of Lloyds bushes, shown in the Absolutely Scooters picture. The steel inserts in these are longer so would allow some movement of the urethane bushes - its not ideal but its the best idea so far as i can see it...
Shocky - yeah good idea. I feel that the current conversions are 90% of the way there, they just need refining
Snails

Oh right, same as the engine mounting nuts. I think I have a couple of spares at home..Freeing up my shock was on my things to do list, and its now this week’s highest climber!

Soullad I cant see the image your talking about (my works firewall is blocking it). I'll have to have a look at home. Do Absolutely Scooters sell these?
mickyb

When I fitted mine I thought about this rotation so instead of just tightening the nuts top and bottom I backed the nut off and used a locking compound on the thread. A spring washer stops any side to side movements but allows it to move as suspension compresses. Will keep an eye on it now though.
soullad
Dealer

mickyb wrote:When I fitted mine I thought about this rotation so instead of just tightening the nuts top and bottom I backed the nut off and used a locking compound on the thread. A spring washer stops any side to side movements but allows it to move as suspension compresses. Will keep an eye on it now though.
Hmmmmmmm I think a solution may revolve around longer steel inserts. If these were only approx 1-2 mm longer than either the nylon / urethane / roller bearings, with a spring washer between them as per above (good idea!) then the inserts could be tightened down hard, but still allow the bushes to rotate. Granted this will induce wear but maybe only the bush, which as Shock says are only fiver a pop. The problem arises if the wear happens on the alloy R1 top mount.
But this still will not absorb shock like a tradional rubber mounted "shock absorber"
I'll try an get a pic posted up of what i mean as it probably sounds double dutch .....but no laughing, art wasn't my best subject!!
soullad
Dealer

Something along these lines maybe .......

oldbiker

nylocks or just about any nut, bolt or washer that you can image can be got from J.R.Websters. These tool merchants are in just about every town

Ive always found that if you say you only need 3 or 4, they can`t be bothered to wright an invoice and give you a few free of charge.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information