R1 Shock Snapped !

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
soulsurfer

joespeed wrote:
mark wrote:surely ally rubbing against brass is a recipe for rapid wear ?
its not rubbing ,it is pressed in tight!
regards
joe
:shock: That's just bloody dangerous (in hindsight)
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
mark

wouldnt that mean that you had a loose fit tube onto a shaft in turn fitted to a nylon bush that is fitted tight to it .
steel to steel wears badly .
its a shock absorber and needs to mounted with rubber to take all torsional pivoting and return to a std position .
no motorcycle shock absorber manufacurer makes solid steel/brass or nylon bushes .
sad but true we just try to mod bits to fit sometimes unsuccessfully.
soullad
Dealer

joespeed wrote:chiggy had some r1 and r6 shockers at cleethorpes ,i was a little concerned as he told me that he didn't want to press the bushes in as they were a barsteward to get out to change from bronze to nylon,that means when tightened up they keep bending the piston rod so they eventually snap,that is what has happened ,the lambretta damper has a rubber bush which allows a little movement,
the r1 style bushes needs to be relieved so the shocker can swing on the pivot to avoid the bending action,
regards
joe

Joe - could you explain more ..........im a little confused by what youre saying.
joespeed

soullad wrote:
joespeed wrote:chiggy had some r1 and r6 shockers at cleethorpes ,i was a little concerned as he told me that he didn't want to press the bushes in as they were a barsteward to get out to change from bronze to nylon,that means when tightened up they keep bending the piston rod so they eventually snap,that is what has happened ,the lambretta damper has a rubber bush which allows a little movement,
the r1 style bushes needs to be relieved so the shocker can swing on the pivot to avoid the bending action,
regards
joe

Joe - could you explain more ..........im a little confused by what youre saying.
the shocker needs to have nylon/phosphour bronze top hat shaped bushes to bolt tight to the lambretta engine and top frame mount so the shocker can swing on the bush.not to be solid hence the bending back and forth ending with the piston of the shocker snapping clean off!
regards
joe
Stokie

Is this the kind of thing you need ??

byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

Stokie wrote:Is this the kind of thing you need ??
very probably. thanks
presumably available from Absolutely Scooters...
soullad
Dealer

Looks like it - is that red material compressed rubber ? - whatever it is, it needs to be able to flex / absorb rotational movement

BUT this still doesn't solve the gaps at the collars. We need a set of new collars, top and bottom to match the 225 spring diameter and 180 diameter.
Stokie

byron wrote:
very probably. thanks
presumably available from Absolutely Scooters...

I guess - I just remember the pic's from a while back, no doubt Jason will let you know the score mate.
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

soullad wrote:Looks like it - is that red material compressed rubber ? - whatever it is, it needs to be able to flex / absorb rotational movement
urethane ?
Supereibar

SHAIT Ian, I didn't know this happened!?! Glad you are ok! But, we are in dangering ourselves on the racer as that is what we have setup. I also thought those shocks where the answer :( :( :(

Mark, I can't read your posts even if I try mate.. There is something in them that just does not let me concentrate...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information