Seize! Will I need to reline barrell?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
alanscottj
Main scooter: Lambretta GP SS250 Casa

Managed to seize my TS1 on the way to work this morning :oops:

Will this need to be relined or is it possible to have them cleaned up? Tia

Lambretta Series 2 Rat - RB260, SuperTourer, Cyclone 5 gearbox ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

that will repair, langcourts do it, i think you send them your new piston and old barrel, they weld up the aluminium, machine it, then replate it, good as new, ive seen there work and its very good.
holty
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

is that deposits on the lining or marks through the lining?
Scootering since 1968.
psychedelicropcircle
Main scooter: Series 1 li150 1958

I had a recent TS build and watched your build on here. Am I right in saying it ran on a delly 30? It looks the same seize as mine! I was running it rich had smashed it past some lorries then backed off....heard the tone change then sssssieze :twisted:

I need a replate and rings. Also gonna run it on a tmx.
alanscottj

bristolmod wrote:is that deposits on the lining or marks through the lining?
Marks through the lining :?
paulnobodyimportant
Main scooter: varies

Yes, that's a Langcourts re-line. Happened to me a couple of months back. Make sure your piston and rings are still ok.
alanscottj

psychedelicropcircle wrote:Image

I had a recent TS build and watched your build on here. Am I right in saying it ran on a delly 30? It looks the same seize as mine! I was running it rich had smashed it past some lorries then backed off....heard the tone change then sssssieze :twisted:

Yeah was on. Delly 30, my own fault, giving it too much before having it dynoed. Sorry to hear about yours mate, I really do feel your pain :(
hobospeed

If you're cheap like me you might be able to run it after cleaning up the mess on the barrel walls and piston (I can only assume the piston took a good smearing as well) plus a new set of rings. As long as the marks/gouges are localized to only a couple of spots, are below the top of the exhaust port and not in the ring gap you might not even notice a difference in power output.

I use toilet bowl cleaner that is ~10% acid to clean the aluminum smears off the plated bore (NASTY FUMES! best done outside or a spot with plenty of ventilation) then hit the low spots/gouges with the wet/dry or a dremel to chamfer them so the rings won't catch. Think of it as a boost port that does nothing but save you some $$$. Don't forget to clean up the marks on the piston with wet/dry as well.

I've been running a Malossi 210 barrel that I picked for 10 bucks at a swap meet like this for years without issue. So far I haven't had to try it on my TS1 *knock on wood* :D

Good luck,

Tim
Last edited by hobospeed on Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nelson pk

Always a bummer to seize an ally barrel but it has nothing to do with which carb its run on....... rather than whatever carb its run on the carb is jetted correctly.
I would replate it.
psychedelicropcircle
Main scooter: Series 1 li150 1958

alanscottj wrote:
psychedelicropcircle wrote:Image

Yeah was on. Delly 30, my own fault, giving it too much before having it dynoed. Sorry to hear about yours mate, I really do feel your pain :(
Acht I'll get mine sorted over the winter,probably change the inlet whilst I'm there! Good luck
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information