nickel plating

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

Not sure how useful this is to anyone, but as much as anything else, this makes me feel a little bit sexy.

Nickel plated BGM clubman; phwooaarr

No idea how durable it's going to be as I've never tried it before. I'll report back after I've given it a go.
monument7
Main scooter: Li auto conversion 180

I'll have it when you throw it away :lol:
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

Looks like ceramic in the photo. The box its self should hold up well. The header pipe will discolor from the heat though.
hendy

Grumpy225 wrote:Looks like ceramic in the photo. The box its self should hold up well. The header pipe will discolor from the heat though.
Yes, I expect heat discolouration, and don't mind it at all, but I'm slightly concerned about how well it remains adhered as it was electroless plated. I get all my fasteners, clips etc done this way, but they don't get hot. We'll see.
carlos fandango

I thought about doj g this on a RM clubman ive got .
I did think it woulx just burn ofc the down pipe though ??
Id be interested in seeing it after a few hundred miles :)
When i was young my Mom said "if you haven't got anything nice to say, say nothing at all " ..................... and people wonder why I'm quiet around them !
hendy

I did intend to put this straight onto my gt186 and report back how it held up, but I'm taking delivery of a winter model on Tuesday that I've decided to keep it for.

The winter model is intended to be a long term project (2 years or so), so unfortunately it'll be a while before I can give any useful feedback. :oops:
hendy

carlos fandango wrote:I thought about doj g this on a RM clubman ive got .
I did think it woulx just burn ofc the down pipe though ??
Id be interested in seeing it after a few hundred miles :)
Here it is after "a few hundred miles". I can't be any more accurate than that as my speedo stopped working last summer. The chap who did it said that it might burn off but he'd never tried it before. Anyway, it's worked for me.

Possibly worth noting that it was electroless plated. I've no idea if that affects its durability or not.

Burnside
Main scooter: Lambretta TV200

How does the cost of nickel plating compare to ceramic? Very similar finish to my cermakromed BGM clubman, which is still good after 3 years of all weather riding, iirc that cost me around £130 but I did have a couple of small parts done at the same time.
a.lo.v2
Main scooter: sx 200

i have recently bought a casa curly exhaust that has a nickel plated finish although it is a gold tinge to it, looks good and surely better than paint. ill see how it holds up. if it is a cheaper option than chrome then it would work, if not than i would have chrome all day long
hendy

It only cost me £50 but I pass his workshop on my way to work and drop it off. I suspect it doesn't go through the books.

It doesn't look as nice as chrome, but is far better at corrosion protection. That said, a good chrome plater applies nickel before chrome plating. Not always though and chrome on bare steel lasts about 5 minutes.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information