Luna Help

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Fux
Main scooter: li150 S2

Haha.. I answerd faster than you changed the link. I need to find out how many teeth he has on that...
Fux

" unfortunatly due to the number of emails this seller recieves, he can not answer questions"

Bollix.

How many teeth does a standard lui gear cluster have? Mine has 17-13-9

Hmm... Lambretta bible says Lui has 20-15-9, J50 has also 20-15-9, late modells have 19-14-9 .

Must be an oddball box for the sweedish marked. Very frustrating.
thackers

Hi, yes I posted up then realised it was the cluster you were asking about :oops:
I can't really give much advise on the Lui model as I have a Cometa with the engine internals from a 4 speed Starstream. I think i'm right in thinking that you need to change all internal parts of a Starstream engine into a Lui including the Crank and barrel (hard to find) they don't "mix and match"
Probably the best person to answer any Luna related questions is Jem Booth, he also has a lot of N.O.S Luna parts but can be pricey. He posts on the Face book pages. Another person to ask is Joey Fontane I think he posts on here (do a member search) he has run the casa kit in a Lui with great results. He might advise you on a front sprocket change too that makes the gearing work better.
Fux

Ok, I`ll ask Jem. Was going to contact him anyway about some keys.

I have the new front sprocket, close range cluster,jockeys pull down chain tensioner and longer chain so instead of trying to find a new sweedish type gear cluster, I`ll try and find an original lui box to match all the new shiney parts I have bought.
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

Have you considered this ? http://www.scooterrestorations.com/lamb ... -sunny-fr/ Not sure on ratios but also look thru the J range pages as they have some Innocenti loose gears that may help.
Fux

Yeah, seen those.

I need 58-53-46

Although I`m going in the garage now to count some teeth as it could maybe just be the 3rd gear that is different on my box.
Fux

Right this is what I have.

Apparently lui should have 58-53-46 but can`t find out what the primary should be.

I have 58-54-51 with a 11-47 primary.

A J50 delux would have had 58-53-46, on a 11-47 primary. Which might have made it a little easier to find a gearbox.

I`m thinking that my gearbox is looking like a good close ratio gearbox really, shame I can`t find an original cluster to match it.
Fux

Messing around in the garage....

The reason for swapping out the the cluster was because the cluch sprocket was sloppy on it. I threw the new cluster in and it too is just as sloppy with some fore-aft movement too.

Tried with a slightly thicker clutch shim and that helped fore-aft but it still has quite a bit of sideways wobble, so I think its the clutch bushings that are worn a bit too much.

So, this means that I can use my original gearbox.

Does fitting the 13 teeth front sprocket make the gears longer or shorter?
Fux

Right I have now got hold of lui gearbox so decided to sort out some of the other stuff.

Took off the beam cover, or whatever its called... I bet that thing is fun to fit if you have new paint!

Changed my gear wires, adujster block threads are striped but I have some oversize adjusters I might be able to use.

I am begining to think that maybe my front brake/switch housing is off a Lui with the round handlebar.

The throttle wire has been thread through the top of headset and the cable doesnt actualy fit in its hole. My handlebars have a recess underneath for the throttle wire. Can someone take a pic of thiers for me so I can comfirm that I am correct please?
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

I have one of those Domino throttles along with a filed notch for the cable. At a guess it was a dealers remedy for the poor helical throttle fitted as standard to the alloy bars. I'm sure I've seen the Lui C fitted with a similar throttle as standard. If you can't find an original one they have been remade but expensive .
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information