Indian 200 cases

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
kevspeed

I have three scooters with the Indian made 200 crankcases,now im not sure if it was a dodgy batch,or they are all the same,but each engine has a really crap back brake,apparently due to a slight mis-drilling of either the brake shoe pivot pin holes,or the operating cam hole!
I have the 'Jockeys Boxenstop' set up on one engine,which i still need to play with to get it right,but with the other two im going to experiment with this modified rear hub!
ImageImage
The idea being to fix the hub on as per normal,then i can see where the brake shoe is touching,or if one is working but the other isnt,then i should be able to possibly modify the operating cam,or whatever to make the brakes a bit more efficient!.
Has anybody else tried anything like this with any success?
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

Well that's a new job for my f*#ked rear hub.

Good idea i'll give it a try
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

It is a good idea. But don't get trying it with an old Ramp hub. :lol:
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

I made one similar but cut four windows in it. I've found that with the arm pushed forward, one shoe, usually the top one will be tight on the brake band whilst the lower shoe doesn't touch. I then slide a feeler gauge in to get the thickness needed to shim the cam which is easier with the shoes that have the removable heels as you can shim under it.
alcoholic maniacs sc
Main scooter: 6 volt mobility spaz chariot

interesting idea, ive had half a dozen indian casings teamed with every brand of hub under the sun and they were all shitter than my scrappers from the 80's at stopping. i put it down partially to non asbestos modern compound brake shoes but of course the cam misdrill is also a factor if its true. tried everything and now looking at jockey rear brake setup.
Alcoholic maniacs social club. out f@@k,out fight and out booze 'em.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Yep, this is so common with Indian 200 cases and I suspect the very reason why the Jockey setup was developed.

When you go back from SIL 200 casing to a bike with an original Italian or Spanish casing it can be a shock to have a rear brake that actually works!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information