Missing mag side retainer : rebuild??

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
alanscottj
Main scooter: Lambretta GP SS250 Casa

After what felt like hours, lots of sweat and a bit of swearing, I finally managed to get my Mag housing bearing and seals into place. Fitted the mag housing to my new engine and fitted stator plate etc etc only to walk into the shed and find the l shaped reatainer on the side!!!! Obviously I realise it does a job, but, I really don't want to try and get this bearing out again, even heated up it was a bugger to get in. Will I get away with it until I get chance to fit it?

Lambretta Series 2 Rat - RB260, SuperTourer, Cyclone 5 gearbox πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘
dapper
Main scooter: The Biriani Bullet

No, its there for a purpose. I'm afraid a strip down again of the mag housing is required, unless you've changed from an LI/SX type crank to a GP style crank, as it's not needed on the GP style crank.
Compact Toolbox Flywheel Holder
alanscottj

dapper wrote:No, its there for a purpose. I'm afraid a strip down again of the mag housing is required, unless you've changed from an LI/SX type crank to a GP style crank, as it's not needed on the GP style crank.
It is a GP style crank......
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

dapper wrote:No, its there for a purpose. I'm afraid a strip down again of the mag housing is required, unless you've changed from an LI/SX type crank to a GP style crank, as it's not needed on the GP style crank.

You're thinking about the spacer ring for the thinner SX/LI style bearing (NU205). GP uses the NU2205 and is wider

If I remember right the L cup helps keep the outer seal in place. You need this one in there.
alanscottj

Grumpy225 wrote:

You're thinking about the spacer ring for the thinner SX/LI style bearing (NU205). GP uses the NU2205 and is wider

If I remember right the L cup helps keep the outer seal in place. You need this one in there.
I knew someone would spoil it for me! :lol: I've just been to Halfords and bought a blow torch. Hopefully I can get the bearing out to re-use :D
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

Take the circlip off and prise out the oil seal (you'll need to get a new one)Put the mag housing on the hob and heat it up until the bearing drops out,quickly fit the L shaped washer and the bearing.Fit the new oil seal and circlip when the mag housing has cooled enough,pack the bearing with high temp grease.Make sure you fit the L shaped washer the right way up,with the flat side towards the seal and the othe side towards the bearing.
alanscottj

HxPaul wrote:Take the circlip off and prise out the oil seal (you'll need to get a new one)Put the mag housing on the hob and heat it up until the bearing drops out,quickly fit the L shaped washer and the bearing.Fit the new oil seal and circlip when the mag housing has cooled enough,pack the bearing with high temp grease.Make sure you fit the L shaped washer the right way up,with the flat side towards the seal and the othe side towards the bearing.
All done! Using a proper blow torch made it sooooo much easier, the bearing just dropped out! Got the L plate retainer on (the right way!) Looks like it'll be a while till I can fit it to engine, boy it's hot!!!!

Thanks for all advice as always, most appreciated :D

You can tell it's my first engine build eh? :lol:
Yanker

I hope your mag bearing's plastic cage survived the heat treatment (if that is appropriate and it is not a metal cage variant) :-)
alanscottj

Yanker wrote:I hope your mag bearing's plastic cage survived the heat treatment (if that is appropriate and it is not a metal cage variant) :-)
The bearing and casing 'looked' ok, I'll soon find out :roll:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information