BGM AFR Electronic Ignition

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
nicholashay
Main scooter: Lambretta LiS225 Rapido Race

Can you use a BGM Stator plate with an AFR lightened flywheel on a Lambretta GP?
:?
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

Yes. I've just done exactly that.

Had to use the shims to get the pick up to align perfectly. May well have been fine without the tinkering but I'm a fussy f#cker.
nicholashay

Great, was that with a GP (Indian) engine. which shims did you use?
Yanker

nicholashay wrote:Can you use a BGM Stator plate with an AFR lightened flywheel on a Lambretta GP?
:?
Do you mean '[lightened'[ as opposed to AFR Light flywheel (they are different beasts)?
nicholashay

The AF Light Flywheel that weighs 1380g
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

There no reason why it shouldn't work with the BGM stator, provided you pay attention to the clearances and the alignment of the pickup ..and you don't have one of the shonky ones with the brass screws holding the magnets in place
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Bufficus

Beware BGM stators.

Captain Pugwash thinks this has happened due to clearance issues with the centre boss of the mag housing. I think he's probably right but haven't bee able to check as I'm on holiday.
This is the third BGM stator I have had fail all with different problems.
Strummer10
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Special 225

I run basic SIL ones from AFR (I think they vet them and do the necessary) but had no problems on 2 bikes in 5 years
tavspeed

my lightened af flywheel has a spacer washer between the flywheel boss and the alloy body,which makes it further out,if that makes sense,i think the earlier flywheels don't have this washer,so you can have clearance issues with the bgm pickup.
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

Apologies for my rather half-arsed earlier answer.

My flywheel is the 2000g afr one and I have the latest bgm stator. There was plenty of clearance between the pick up and the flywheel.

The current bgm stator is supplied with 2 or 3 shims to allow you to raise the pick up and align correctly with the flywheel. I used all of mine and it is perfectly aligned now.

I did notice that the spark is significantly brighter than the one from the varitronic that I had before.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information