Problem with Sip long wheel nuts

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
challenger

After stripping a thread on my old rear hub fitting new longer Sip wheel studs I bought a new FA hub and new long studs.

The studs wont go into the hub from the rear side.
They will however screw in easily from the wrong side.

Ive tried a set of orinigal studs, new mb studs and the studs that came with the hub. All three sets go in easily from hand.

The sip studs only go in from the correct side for about two threads and start getting really tight. (From hand)

Anyone had the same problem?
Ive already scrapped one new, freshley painted hub and dont want to scrap another one as well :oops:

I thought of running a left hand tap through the threads, although thatshouldnt really be needed as the other three stud sets fit easily.

Any ideas how to get the studs in would be gratly appreciated
dennis
Main scooter: 1 gp 1 special

I had this problem with a set of the long studs,the thread on the studs were not cut right i managed to get the studs in but nearly f@@ked the hub, the threads were really rough cut.
rainbowrunner
Main scooter: Series 2, RT 195

had no probs with mine, screwed them in by hand finished off with a socket, biggest job was getting the old ones out :P
challenger

Thanks
Now sorted I hope.

The threads on the hub have obviously been cut from the front side of the hub and hadnt been cut all the way through the holes properly.
I run a tap through from the front and it started cutting a thread towards the end of the holes at the rear side of the hub.

The Sip studs are however different to original studs.

The other three studs sets went in without recutting the thread because they have a longer shoulder between the different thread sizes. This means the studs start easily in the threads.

The Sip studs have a smaller shoulder, the thread needs to be spot on or they wont go in.

I wouldnt try forcing them in as they will damage the threads. Best to run a tap through first before forcing them in.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information