it shouldnt work but it bloody flies!!!

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
alcoholic maniacs sc
Main scooter: 6 volt mobility spaz chariot

if youve ever put together an engine in a hurry from bits stored in your loft/garage/cupboard you'll know all the leftovers from 2 decades of products are bits you didnt want to use in the first place. when theres a need theres a crunch rebuild to consider and moneys short could these bits get their moment to shine...
1970 GP150 casing
sx200 gear box, crown wheel and front cog
bog standard 1971 dl150 barrel and piston from a 7000km import with original thick alloy head gasket.
30mm dellorto with x7 needle and 110 main jet / mugello 150 rubber mount manifold
original rusty factory GP200 crank previously used for 20 years as a paper weight and dropped on the floor 200 times
Ancillotti big bore exhaust on its last legs
original AF rayspeed 90's electronic ignition with lighter flywheel
surflex clutch that appears on the face of it "to have some meat left"

now they said "oooo a 150 boggo barrel will never pull sx200 gearing"...."that carb will kill a standard barrel"...."you'll never get up hills"...."it'll do 10 to the gallon"
well i thought its worth a laugh for the price of a few gaskets and im skint and it might get me to a rally....
it bloody flies, possibly the nicest set up ive had for years!!!!starts on the nail, the 60 miles from Donnington park to Sheffield used just three litres of fuel!!! it cruises at 60 with no issues at all, on a good cold running champion plug, full throttle for 14 miles with no sign of overheating on carlube lawnmower two stroke,.(except long hills where the war of attrition in torque versus gearing beats it). the fourth gear is more of an overdrive really and its three to the floor around town. best of all its a P200 hunter in the first three gears , easily holding its own against a pack of P"'s i was riding with and beating them from the traffic lights 9 times out of 10, really unexpected and proves a healthy iron barrel is still a worthwhile thing, sod my tuned engines this is actually more fun and not hugely slower in the end. job done! a grand saved!! my round!!
Alcoholic maniacs social club. out f@@k,out fight and out booze 'em.
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

brilliant! just shows what can be done for next to nothing and that it pays to sometimes ignore "the crowd" and do your own thing.......

now- wheres my Wal Phillips I put to one side in 1969........ :D

Nice One!

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

I remember when Dean Orton used to tool around Rimini on 'The Borsa', which was an LI125 Special that, I believe, had SX200 gearing in it. Sounds crazy but it had been tried as the motor was revving out on the standard short gearing so had the longer box chucked in just to see if it would pull it... and indeed it did!!!

Dean can confirm... or own up to telling me porkies, way back when :)
woody

RS short stroke 150 set-up lol
servetakid
Main scooter: Jet 200

Sounds abit like my top end at the moment.

Knackered Sil 200 barrel bored to 225
A seized Avanti piston
AF 225 head that'd had a piston crown lodged into it
17/46 LI150 Gearing.

It's currently over jetted and bogging like a good un and a hint of clutch slip, however hit a solid 59 on the sprint at Lincoln.
tavspeed

know where your coming from. cast 225 barrell and piston £20 from leeds parts fair,had to raise exhaust port 5.5mm to get it to run,think it might have been a lambro barrell,pwk carb bought 12 years ago to run on my 1st 175,sx200 gearing,might have to drop to 15 on the front,pulls lovely and is nice and smooth,happy days :D
kotter68
Main scooter: jet 200

you didn't leave my px standing mr tony ;)
kotter68
Main scooter: jet 200

amazing what ralph throws away theses days, ;)
scooterslag

alcoholic maniacs sc wrote:if youve ever put together an engine in a hurry from bits stored in your loft/garage/cupboard you'll know all the leftovers from 2 decades of products are bits you didnt want to use in the first place. when theres a need theres a crunch rebuild to consider and moneys short could these bits get their moment to shine...
1970 GP150 casing
sx200 gear box, crown wheel and front cog
bog standard 1971 dl150 barrel and piston from a 7000km import with original thick alloy head gasket.
30mm dellorto with x7 needle and 110 main jet / mugello 150 rubber mount manifold
original rusty factory GP200 crank previously used for 20 years as a paper weight and dropped on the floor 200 times
Ancillotti big bore exhaust on its last legs
original AF rayspeed 90's electronic ignition with lighter flywheel
surflex clutch that appears on the face of it "to have some meat left"

now they said "oooo a 150 boggo barrel will never pull sx200 gearing"...."that carb will kill a standard barrel"...."you'll never get up hills"...."it'll do 10 to the gallon"
well i thought its worth a laugh for the price of a few gaskets and im skint and it might get me to a rally....
it bloody flies, possibly the nicest set up ive had for years!!!!starts on the nail, the 60 miles from Donnington park to Sheffield used just three litres of fuel!!! it cruises at 60 with no issues at all, on a good cold running champion plug, full throttle for 14 miles with no sign of overheating on carlube lawnmower two stroke,.(except long hills where the war of attrition in torque versus gearing beats it). the fourth gear is more of an overdrive really and its three to the floor around town. best of all its a P200 hunter in the first three gears , easily holding its own against a pack of P"'s i was riding with and beating them from the traffic lights 9 times out of 10, really unexpected and proves a healthy iron barrel is still a worthwhile thing, sod my tuned engines this is actually more fun and not hugely slower in the end. job done! a grand saved!! my round!!
its brilliant when you can get a old standard iron barrel to zoom along, building something similar at the mo with a Italian GP150 topend except mine will have a pacemaker box, 22mm delorto breathing through a filter -less airbox, 16x46 sprocket set up and a big bore 8-)
The mack daddy on the left!
alcoholic maniacs sc
Main scooter: 6 volt mobility spaz chariot

you didn't leave my px standing mr tony

dont burst my bubble karl!! in my mind i was flying along leaving every TS1 and pinasco kit for dead , the world my oyster,a supermodel waiting at home,the playboy mansion jacuzzi fired up, excited children jumping up and down on the pavement screaming "mummy i want a Lambretta when i grow up!", my six pack rippling under my designer Ralph Meteors Tee shirt and all on an iron 150 barrel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
anyway i slowed down to let you passin Handsworth cus i wanted to spread the love. :o
Alcoholic maniacs social club. out f@@k,out fight and out booze 'em.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information