EGT sensa

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
DJ 240
Dealer

EGT is it a worth while sensa on a road bike I was looking at buying a mycron4 so spoke to AIM TEC who told me what it did (which i half new)
by the end of my phone call it just seems a gimic ?
Because if you are on route and sensa starts to increase temp what you going to do ?
Stop maybe and change jet
Then 10mile down road weather change and so do temp ?
Stop again ?
IS this a sensa that would panic you and drive you mad
AIM said this sensa would help get jetting near to 10 percent right on a race track but could not see how it would help
on a road going bike because of weather change
WHAT TO DO?
paulmgreen
Main scooter: Lambretta Group 4 Race 200

They are nice things to have........ arguably essential when pushing performance to the max when the peak power is just before the thing blows!

On the road....... keeping an eye on the temp..... adjusting it by acceleration (more fuel) may decrease temp !

Like other aspects of tuning......... (see other threads!) its how you link things together...... check out the Scootering Dyno test of Group 4 race bikes...... Steve Conneely's comments. If temps are increasing, use of a manually ( or solenoid operated) power jet can help cool things down......

But to maybe go back to your original question...... are they a gimmick? For the road... maybe..... if you are riding in a manner to push the engine to the highest levels where the EGT is totally relevant you will be wrapped around a lamp post or sitting in the back of a Police car pronto lol

having said that..... watch this space for a possible new EGT to the market! But ssshhhh its still a secret!
YouTuve Vlog channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEhrgL ... vY_4Px2WTg

www.JPPLambretta.co.uk

Sponsors Replay Scooters JPPLambretta
RinB
Main scooter: Reflections in Blue

Even though I things these peices of kit are excellent and people think they are god send

IMO Ive not bothered putting them on my road scoots really for the reason said above.
Do I want to be watching the dial all the time im riding, wondering is that to hot or is it right.
I personally dont want to know :D

I wonder would they actually react quick enough to let you know something was wrong.
Ok maybe you might see a temp rise which might be good but other then that !

So I tend not to use them on road scoots, and feel and listen to my engine as Im tootling along enjoying the ride and not making myself paraniod watching a little dial :shock:
If its made of Metal Fettle it !!
red ghost
Xbox live gamer tag: Pleasure Master
Main scooter: lambretta gp150

Is the temp gauge in your car a gimmick?
How come phonetics isn't spelt with an 'f'?

Check out my boobs! <-- <--Just imagine being burried between those puppies!
andylaw7

good point red ;)
soulsurfer

They are really usefull, and accurate, for setting up your carb on all throttle positions, but once that's done they are a warning of any impending problem with heat in the cylinder, whether it's a leaking exhaust, head gasket, carb rubber etc. all stuff you would otherwise not necessarily be aware of whilst on the move, unless you're ear is very tuned in or you have great experience, but we're not all like that, are we, so I'm more than happy to use one :D
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
davidblythe

they are only a tool, when i started with Lambretta's, i had a succession of Holed pistons and heat seizes, that is very much a thing of the past now, only blot in the last 2 years has been a seized race crank from up north

have learnt so much and can now tell from my senses, vibration, tone of the exhaust, feel from the engine etc if the engine is running right or wrong

have also learnt that gas temps do not correlate 100% to richness/leaness of the engine, now looking at the i/d of the stinger to bring down temperatures, a taffy bought this home to me

guess if you are a tuning god, they are unnecessary on the road, but for me knowing 2/5ths of feck all, i will continue to use one
rossi46

Just tested my RB over a 2 mile stretch of dual carriageway at 40, 50, 55, 60, 70, and full chat :twisted: I am using an AIM My Chrono 4 race kart display which reads RPM, EGT and also records the max rpm and EGT over the running time, sensor is 110mm from the piston skirt and is fitted so 2mm of the tip is into the exhaust (as instructed by AIM), Then calibarted using a hot air gun, separtate temp guage used for testing brake disc tempratures.

40 - 405 C
50 - 432 C
60 - 450 C
70 - 465 C
FULL CHAT 93 Mph at 8950 rpm calculated by the gear ratio and sprockets used 510 C

All temps were constant over 2 miles, flat road, no slip stream and no head wind or tail wind, a good day for testing, ambient temp approx 21 C. Plug chops were carried out at the end of each run all found to be chocolate brown except at full chat were the colour was a slighly darker brown.

RB240, Franspeed race pipe, TMX35, 57 Needle 4th clip, 290 main jet. :D

I have been dealing with EGT for many years on race and rally cars, they are a good tool for tuning, I also agree there is alot ot be said for seat of the pants riding and listening to exhaust and engine notes, it also so depends on the EGT kit you use some guages are slower to react than others, for example I tried the one from westech and back to backed it from the one I have now from AIM and the reaction times of the read out is quicker and far more accurate on the AIM, remember the AIM is built sepcifically for expensive race engine as we know race engine are expensive pieces of kit and need good equipment to see even the smallest changes in temps, as this could meean the difference between a blow up or power loss.

But you pay for what you get if you have an expensive engine built for your bike why skimp on the technology that is out there to help you with your investment, you wouldn't put kwik fit brake pads in a ferrari would you ?. The technology is out there if you want it and its your choice at the end of the day. In the past there was nothing, but also the parts were more readily available and a cheaper and it was the norm to have your bike seize or hole a piston at some stage. There are so many facture nowadays why and engine blows, but if its built, tuned and maintained correctly why shouldn,t it be reliable whether it be a tourer or race tune ? for me its all down to maintance, obviously a race tune needs more maintance than a tourer, but if thats what you want you have to understand it costs money to keep it in tip top condition.
AUSSIE

I'm following the thread closly because I'm thinking of getting an EGT guage on my scoot. I think as with any guage it can only be used as an indicator as to what is happening in the engine, it is alway going to be different reading on different days or weather conditions.
If the temp suddenly raises 100 degrees in seconds you know something is wrong compared to slowly climbing after 20 mile thrash down the motorway were it is pobalbly is ok.
Has anyone used fuel/air ratio guage? the ones I have seen have 3 sections lean/normal/rich all you have to do is weld a lambda sensor onto your exhaust.
rossi46

AUSSIE wrote:I'm following the thread closly because I'm thinking of getting an EGT guage on my scoot. I think as with any guage it can only be used as an indicator as to what is happening in the engine, it is alway going to be different reading on different days or weather conditions.
If the temp suddenly raises 100 degrees in seconds you know something is wrong compared to slowly climbing after 20 mile thrash down the motorway were it is pobalbly is ok.
Has anyone used fuel/air ratio guage? the ones I have seen have 3 sections lean/normal/rich all you have to do is weld a lambda sensor onto your exhaust.

I am looking into fitting one to mine as the AIM display has inputs for Lambda and air/fuel ratio
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information