Avanti woes

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
OAP
Dealer

I am some what busy right at this moment but will put some misguided information straight sometime tomorrow, in the mentime Colin now I am back from my holidays if you would like to send the cylinder back I will have a look at it, shame you did not take up my offer 2 years ago to jet the engine in correctly.
RM
Jazzy

servetakid wrote:What happened to Stickies barrel? Did the plating come off in the same place?
Hi Jordan,
Did your Dad used to post as Wild Cat?
Jazzy

Muppet wrote:
servetakid wrote:What happened to Stickies barrel? Did the plating come off in the same place?
the full story never got told on that
It was mentioned in a subsequent article in scootering, but never got the same attention.
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

Jazzy wrote:
Muppet wrote:
the full story never got told on that
It was mentioned in a subsequent article in scootering, but never got the same attention.
one sided article in scootering
C’est la vie
coaster

OAP wrote:.....Colin now I am back from my holidays if you would like to send the cylinder back I will have a look at it, shame you did not take up my offer 2 years ago to jet the engine in correctly.RM
That is very true Ron, I did mean to bring it down but the logistics of going to pick it up from and then take it back to Norfolk when I spend most of my days in London made it impractical. I'll collect the barrel this weekend and get it in the post or maybe drop it in if I can scheme some time out of the office 8-)
OAP
Dealer

As I said last night I am really busy and do not have any time until Sunday to get stuck in to this debate, but I will start it off in the meantime:-
Groundsman Oil:
I used it in my own bike when I had one, I cannot say that I recommend it, I tell customers that I use it. I did check the content before using it, then did various tests, striped the engine and so on. In my case it did what I wanted it to do.
This was at a time ( 3 – 4 years ago) when I was trying to find out why some cylinders, alloy & cast Iron were running “dry”. I eventually put this down to oil dispersants in the petrol. It has been a learning curve; we did not have lubrication issues like this using leaded fuel in the Stone Age.

There is another issue with oil that affects Nikasil and its derivatives which I will deal with on Sunday.

“Sticky” Plating Issues
I do hope that before Sunday Sticky will post on here and confirm that his engine build had three air leaks and the cylinder head was loose as he did not use my head nuts..

That is all for now, no doubt there will be more to answer by Sunday.

RM
coaster

Just an update for anyone interested. I dropped in to see Ron this afternoon so that he could give it the once over. Basically, the large area of apparent damage bellow the exhaust port is in fact just ally deposited from the piston, a minute or so with some wet & dry cleaned it back to the Nicasyl. The area of wear near the top of the barrel hasn't broken through but there was a small piece of Nicasyl missing right at the top of the bore above the top ring which doesn't have any immediate explanation.

What was apparent though was that the rings were very worn and that is most likely due to me gapping them too tight when I changed them last :oops: and also the wear is uneven which might point to a crank/con rod issue. The reason for the seizure below the exhaust port is a mystery though, it had been running with a filter for the previous 3k miles or so but there was quite a bit of scoring suggesting something had gone up and down in the bore...possibly the missing piece of Nicasyl.

Anyway, it's going back to Lancourts for a replate and new piston which Ron is doing at a very good rate :) It's very comforting to meet someone that is genuinely interested when something goes wrong with his products and goes out of his way to get it sorted....his coffee isn't too bad either ;)
eden
Dealer

good result :)
Lambretta Sash
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta TV 230

Glad u spoke to Ron, always been spot on with any issues with his parts snd
I'm still having fun with the Avanti at 30 hp 3 yrs on :)
davet

After many years scootering and buying many bits from dealers up and down the country and in europe, the best customer service I've ever had was from Ron, by a country mile.

I remember many suffered when the TS1 came out thirty years ago. If we'd had forums then, some would've gone out of business. No comparison.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information