Gt186 carb and exhaust

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Pepot
Main scooter: servetta LI150 serieIII GT186

An AF flywheel with a BGM stator? Think it twice! Better have a lightened elemec flywheel. You will save a lot of troubles with unmatching trigering marks.
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

Pepot wrote:An AF flywheel with a BGM stator? Think it twice! Better have a lightened elemec flywheel. You will save a lot of troubles with unmatching trigering marks.
Thanks for advice. I wasn't aware that was an issue. However, when I checked my order I found that I had actually ordered elemec not af so it should be ok anyway.
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

Hendy, careful. I'm not sure Pepot's advice is sound.

I have an Elemec (Indian made) flywheel on my TS1. It has run well for several years now. However, the keyway is in totally the wrong place. I have made allowances for this and it now fires at 17 degrees. I have heard of several other Elemec flywheels with the same issue but I have never heard of any other Indian made flywheels with the same problem.

As you are doing static timing now, may I suggest that you strobe it at around 3000 revs. I favour 17 degrees and that it was both my TS1 and GT186 are set at. Just my thoughts.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Also there's AF lightened flywheels and AF light flywheels which are two completely different things.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Muttley McLadd

Others may have differing experiences, but my GT ran very well with a BGM stator and a 2kg indion flywheel from Beedspeed.
CakeAndArseParty
Lambretta Sash
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta TV 230

Can't fault GT kits at all, Ignition systems i can! Recently built a 186 for Lambretta lad with Fran race 30 mm hitting 20 hp 16tq just bolted on, it also topped out at 65 mph and will sit there all day long. It has a little more power to release and Will be tweaked in due course .
Also have my own GT 200 with 30mm / ron moss clubman exactly as graph in scootering now fitted with TT Tsr pipe 22 hp 18 tq just bolted on and 70 mph all day long
Dynos can be different, as this month's scootering states power figures by innocenti were at flywheel and not at rear wheel which id known from a std sx200 with 8.89 hp at rear wheel recently.
lammer205

Hi Lambretta sash, is a TT TSR exhaust modified in someway and if so can you tell me what the mods are? Thanx Lammer205
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

The AF "light" flywheel is an Indian copy of the Ducati version, it weighs 1.4 kg, "lightened" ones could be SIL or Elemec which are standard 2.7 kg but machined down to 2.0 kg, more commonly refered to as "mid-weight"
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

I've swapped varitronic over to bgm fixed ignition at 18/19 degrees.

Got a local chap with superior skills to set carb up without a dyno. Ended up pretty much at rich_T's recommended settings but a bit richer main at 102 versus recommended 97.

No discernible difference: same top speed (gps) same rider and same atmospheric conditions = same bhp.

I've come to the conclusion (rightly or wrongly) that my pipe is the area where I can gain most. The engineer in me says buy an NK road pipe but my vanity is pushing me towards a bgm or franspeed clubman.

I may also up the carb to 30mm phbh but one step at a time.
coaster

I have used an Ancilotti Clubman on a Mugello 186 and a TS1 and in both cases the performance was transformed by replacing it with an expansion. They just don't rev, the TS1 maxed out at about 6k but now hits 7.8k. If you are not inclined to use an expansion due to looks, the GT186 certainly performs well with a BGM clubman, I had trouble keeping up with Storkfoot on his GT186 on my Avanti 225 :shock: (over 70 mph GPS and he was pulling away :o )
Bare in mind that the engine has to be able to breath in order to make increased horse power i.e. it has suck in much more air and then blow it out the exhaust. Any restriction will be a hindrance and running through the airbox might be asking too much.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information