Timing Strobe

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Architecten
Main scooter: Allwyn Pushpak GP125 (RT200)

So, got myself a cheap and cheerful strobe gun to check my timing. It has the crocodile clips to connect to a 12v battery but I've read that this isn't ideal. Is there a simple way of connecting to the scooters electrical circuit to power the strobe???
nelson pk

If its the type that connects to a battery and then you put a sensor over the HT lead it should work fine. Havent seen any that connect and run from coil to spark plug in years.
Architecten

Cheers. It was just something I'd read on the LCGB site about setting up ignitions. I'm just trying to avoid hooking up to my car on the drive and f@@king the neighbours off by revving the scooter for no good reason!!! I've found a small 12v battery from Screwfix that should do the job and I can tinker away in the shed then...
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

I think that might have said 'connected to your scooter's battery', an external battery should be OK.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Architecten

No, it's in the electronic ignition bit... "The use of cheap un powered strobe lights is recommended, as self or battery powered timing lights can give false readings."
Reading it back I'm not sure how much sense it makes...!!!

http://www.ilambretta.co.uk/electronic.html
firekdp

Architecten wrote:No, it's in the electronic ignition bit... "The use of cheap un powered strobe lights is recommended, as self or battery powered timing lights can give false readings."

I wouldn't take too much notice of that!
dapper
Main scooter: The Biriani Bullet

I think that means if you run the strobe off the scooter's battery rather than a separate battery not connected in any way to the scooter. And if you use the strobe with the sliding clip that goes over the HT lead, make sure the arrow on the clip is pointing towards the spark plug.
Compact Toolbox Flywheel Holder
mac

connecting it to any 12v battery is fine.

I read the bit above as don't use the ones that connect in-line or the ones that use Built in batterys
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information