Possible causes of rapid ring wear?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Solerunner1
Main scooter: GP 190

Has anyone ever had rings wear very rapidly? Like going from 10 thou ring gap to 2mm in around 100 miles? I've been aware of 3 top ends now that have done that and I have no idea why. I haven't assembled any of them. 2 were the junk indian kits (186cc), the newest one is a 225 BGM piston in an iron barrel. In two cases I'm certain ring gap and bore clearance were dead on before assembly. Pretty sure all ran filters.

Can wrong assembly cause this? Maybe not lubing the rings, piston, and bore? All ports were chamfered. Foreign material in the bore during assembly? I have no idea.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Cases been blasted?
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
rainbowrunner
Main scooter: Series 2, RT 195

petrol tank been blasted ? minute particles of grit get through the gauze filter on carb banjo , then you will get 50 miles on a new top end if your lucky, been there done that got the t shirt
Starwave

Hello

That kind of wear is massively accelerated. Proper ridiculous.
After fitting a stainless steel fuel tank I killed a top end. Rings spinning in their grooves, visibly thinner and bore shagged. Rebore to 2 oversizes sorted it.
I'm absolutely convinced this wear occurred because I didn't wash the tank prior to fitting. Since giving the tank a thorough clean out I've ridden many, many thousands of miles with no top end wear probs.
I'd give your petrol tank, carb and fuel tap a thorough clean, whether stainless or not.

cheers
DaveTomo
Main scooter: SX 200

Had a similar problem myself a few years ago, contacted AF and was sent this.Needless to say after this I cleaned my tank :shock: and its been OK since.Only thing I would say ( and its entirely personal preference) I used POR15 from Frosts rather than petseal and the tank is still spot on 3-4 years later. http://www.frost.co.uk/por15-motorcycle ... r-kit.html

I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.
Solerunner1
Main scooter: GP 190

Thanks for the responses fellas! As far as I know, the tanks have not been blasted and are original to the bikes, but clean-ish.

I was thinking maybe it could come from honing grit, but the barrels were cleaned well, then coated in a thin layer of oil to prevent rust, by me. I don't believe that the barrel was washed and coated with two stroke oil prior to assembly though. I was thinking perhaps it picked up grit before installation then not cleaned up....but would a bit of junk wear it out that fast!?
dirtyhandslopez

Had this happen once: installed a new kwaka jet ski piston set up. Rode to a rally(Summit point-about 185 miles from me) and wore out a set of rings.
What happened was I was running with some small displacement engines, so was barely getting out of third most of the time. Was running a tad heavy on the oil. Carbon formed behind the rings, effectively pushing the rings into the bore and wearing them out. Had I thrashed the crap out of it and just run normal oil mixtures, the problem would not have happened. Needless to say, a new set of rings was sourced form a local bike shop, installed then thrashed all the way home again with absolutely no problems.

Possibly, you may have just got rings that were made out of rubber running in a hard bore.

My advice is they are two strokes, they like to be thrashed, so thrash 'em. If you carb is set up right, timing right, compression, squish, bore tolerances and all that goodness, they will take a caning....
That's not going anywhere...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information