200 engine not revving properly

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Scootermonkey

Hi guys, bit of help needed. Spanish Jet200 engine, all standard. Just fitted electronic ignition, Dellorto PHBH28 carb and a BGM clubman type exhaust. Ignition set to 19 degrees btdc, main jet is factory standard apparently for a 200, which is 105. Got a 120 in with the carb kit but that doesn't seem to make much difference. The scooter starts first kick but even after warming up it has a nasty flat spot when revving it up. Riding it,it struggles to pull away then suddenly picks up and revs really well with plenty of pull. Even ticks over nice aswell, but just sounds "boggy" low to mid rev range. Any ideas? I've tried both jets supplied, and had the needle in three different positions but still have the same problem
How hard can it be!
Lambretta, the finest scooter............IN THE WORLD!
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

What's your pilot, atomiser, needle, slide......have you a filter ?

The main jet won't effect the low down bogginess but it does seem a tad to small, stick the 120 in and come down as required. Likewise the 19 degree would be better at 17.....to be on the safe side.
Scootermonkey

Running with a filter, only a tad worse with the filter off. I'll check the other jets but was supplied by a reputable dealer supposedly set up for a 200
How hard can it be!
mick1

If you're running too "boggy" then it should lean it off by removing the filter........seems odd if it's worse with filter off ?

Possibility it could be electrical (dodgy stator/cdi)
Scootermonkey

I am going to try another cdi tomorrow, as I thought the same. I believe they are sometimes a bit hit n miss.
How hard can it be!
purple_pill67
Main scooter: Jet200

Had similar on mine recently, moved the clip up a notch and was much better
olliewtf
Main scooter: Lambretta Li S3

atomiser and needle combination would be good to know. as ballpark i wouldve thought av266 with x7 or x13. I had a similar symptom to you when i was dialing mine in, and i had the needle clip a tad rich. would struggle to pull, but once in the powerband it flew. this worried me immensely as when dropping the clip it ran great, picked up well etc. it worried me because jetting should be dialed in for when the scoot is working efficiently, ie in the power, and was concerned i was going to be lean jsut for the sake of good pick up. only mentioning it as even though scoot may run better if you drop the needle a clip, always plug check it when in the power to check its okay!
also, if it revs freely on the stand, i would rule out ignition, particularly if its a problem which gets worse as it gets warm. to me, this sounds like a jetting issue, but all this is based on the information you have given so dont take the above as gospel!
Scootermonkey

Cheers. Ok, stripped the carb and here's what it's got
X2 needle on second clip
AV264 atomizer
105 main
70 choke
55 pilot

Hope that helps. I have a spare needle X7, spare main 120 and a spare atomized 266
How hard can it be!
Scootermonkey

Ps. Changed the cdi this morning, no different!
How hard can it be!
mick1

The x2 is a rich needle, try the x7 but be careful you don't get it too lean.

I'd drop the pilot as well (52?)

I'm assuming the slide is a 40? the higher the number the leaner you get: 50 would be leaner, 30 richer

The 105 still worries me.......go higher and be safe.

As has been said, plug chop after changes, better a tad rich than too lean.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information