Earth Fault?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Fux
Main scooter: li150 S2

Funny one this....

Scoot has been running and riding like a dream and it just cut out on my way home from town last week.

Its def. electric related because it starts first kick and can tick over for half an hour without missing a beat.

All lights and horn work fine.

The funny, although franticly annoying bit is that as soon as I put the stand up, it stops!

At first I thought it was a fluke but after doing it ten times in a row i`m getting a little frustrated!

I do have a series 2 type cut out switch but before you ask, the first thing I though I was doing wrong was pressing it with my belly when I rolled it off the stand so I have tried a couple of times off the bike and still get the same result.
coaster

Will it start again off the stand?
Daggs

Well if you believe it to be an electrical fault that occurs every time you put the stand up! You should be examining the wiring in the stand area .................................. :?
22/2

Is it electronic ignition? If so unplug the loom green into the cdi, see if that helps. Basically it removes the earth you have in the loom that is needed to cut the engine.

Rich
Fux

I took out the green, same problem.

There arn`t any wires in the stand area.

Shouldn`t it be able to start with just the red wire? because it doesn`t.
coaster

coaster wrote:Will it start again off the stand?
You need to throw us a bone here, you push it of the stand and it cuts out but can you start it without having to put it back on its stand?

And you need both the green AND the red connected to the CDI....which green did you remove from the CDI btw there should be 2 of them.
Fux

I took out the nearest green, started the scoot tried the cut out switch and it kept running as it should. Threw it off the stand and it cut out.

I cant start it off the stand (to much compression) and I have twin seats and a pannel protector thing which makes it virtualy impossible to start it straddled over the bike.

I`m thinking that something is frayed and that the weight of the the scoot is enough to cause a short? If the green touches earth would that be the same as if I press the cut out switch?
Monty
Main scooter: Series 1 Muggy, Imola Special

Brake or gear cables pushing your spark plug cap off
coaster

Fux wrote:....I`m thinking that something is frayed and that the weight of the the scoot is enough to cause a short? If the green touches earth would that be the same as if I press the cut out switch?
Yes, pushing the cut out button connects the green to earth. You have a mystery for sure, Monty's suggestion is a possibility, can you get someone to bounce up and down on it while you check for any wires catching or stretching as the suspension moves?

I had a problem with my old T5 that drove me crazy. It would start and run absolutely fine but as soon as my wife got on the back it would struggle to do 20 mph (she's only 8 stone). I suspected fuel flow but it wasn't that, I suspected ignition wires being stretched but it wasn't that either. Eventually bought a new carb to replace the 28 phbh and then found that the problem had been a loose inlet manifold all along. When my wife got on the back her weight was just enough to press on the air filter hose which opened up the lose manifold enough to weaken the mixture and kill the engine :oops:

Good luck and let us know what you eventually find 8-)
mac

Check your HT lead it might be shorting out on the frame or engine.

I had the same on a gp, it would cut out occasionally but always restart, then it started happening every time I took of the stand after checking everything I noticed that when it was off the stand the HT lead was arching out on the frame.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information