kehper variable ignition

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
1469leach
Main scooter: jet200/rapido 225

Just a quick post to warn others of my experiences with the kehper unit.I have run two over the last year one on my Vespa and one on my lammy.Both have failed over that time the first being a failure of the unit to recognise when the computer was plugged in to it rendering it unable to change the ignition curve.The second has recently been discovered after using it since September last year on my vesp which has done around 1200 miles in that time,it no longer retards and the timing is bouncing all over the place which resulted in my scoot running like a pig on the way home from western last week,I needed to regularly hit the remote choke to quench the heat out of the cylinder and save the I piston/cylinder.I have emailed Oliver Rhos the maker of the unit on two occasions and have not received a reply yet.I am a bit suprised that he hasn't got back to me yet as he did replace the first unit that went wrong last summer,at £120 each I expect a bit more that 1200 miles usage out of it,still the confidence in it has warned somewhat after my experiences.Anyone else had any problems?

Cheers Jeff
Strummer10
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Special 225

not with this kit, but recent problems with CDI's and stator plates being faulty from new
vegansydney

I've had a Kheper on a regularly ridden Lambretta for close to a year. Hasn't skipped a beat. Even with time difference, Olivier has always gotten back to me within a few hours. Just put another Lambretta project on the bench and that will be getting one too (as soon as they're back in stock). IMHO Kheper is money well spent.
eden
Dealer

I have had the problem you had with my first kheper, in that I was unable to change the curve after some time, this unit is still working though on the last curve I was able to put in it.
I have another kheper which is still working after many 1000's of miles that has not had any problems.
I have also seen another kheper on someone elses scooter that did stop retarding.
Olivier has always answered my emails and has explained the problem with the last batch of units and refunded the guy who had the one that stopped retarding.
Strummer10
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Special 225

must confess I've had an Augusto 7000 on my Avanti for 3 years and that has been consistently ok on starting and through the rev range. I did wonder what would happen if it failed on a ride away from home though. Think its set at 21 degrees to start, retards to 17 .......
1469leach

Eden,what problems did the first version have?
eden
Dealer

same as yours, I had a few issues connecting it to my laptop when I first got it and had to install some old drivers for it to be recognised, the software sorted it and I was able to put a curve in. I used it for a few months and then decided one weekend to try a few different curves as I had a weekend free to mess about, but the laptop wouldn't recognise the unit so I was unable to change the curve. its still working fine though with the 1st curve I put in it.
Train Driver

I have one on the shelf in the garage :o
Mike Davis fitted it to my Vespa but had the same setting up problems as mentioned.
It never ran right and on the JB dyno john thought I had some knackered variotronic ignition as it was all over the place.
The very nice Mr Al Terry said "take it off you ain't running a 40hp 14000rpm monster"
It's now a ornament :lol:
TS1 and PX stay in the garage (future barn finds) out on the GTS 300 when I go out on a scooter.
I know I’ll get there and back
eden
Dealer

How long ago did you buy it train driver?
Do you want to sell it?
1469leach

Oliver replied to my email today and said he would refund me.He said that he was working on v3 of the unit,I got real reservations about using the one I've got on my lammy after my experiences and that of you guys, but I did see some benefits from it.Delema!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information