Kytronic vs Readspeed 8 Stage Adjustable CDI

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
victor
Main scooter: Tv175 but currently a SS210 :)

There's about a tenner price difference between the two.

http://www.ekmpowershop2.com/ekmps/shop ... 6126-p.asp

The readspeed also gives you an CDI and allows you to set the static to 17 degrees which means should you have to swap roadside you wont need to adjust the timing.

The kytronic seems to have more curves to chose from.

My bike is running an RT195 so mildly tuned.

Thankful for advice - cheers Victor
olliewtf
Main scooter: Lambretta Li S3

looking at the two graphs, the reedspeed box does the following:
advances timing from 1000 rpm finishing at 2500 rpm by either 5, 7, or 9 degrees. they each retard at 4500 rpm, finishing back at your preferred static timing at 5000rpm.
the advantage here is your static timing is as per normal, so any faults, you can just swap the cdi over.
The Kytronic unit works back to front essentially. This has the negative of having to fettle your stator plate to achieve advanced timings.
however, its advantage is the following greater options for timing.
Option 1 and 2 essentially advance the timing by 8 degrees, achieved at 2000rpm then begin to retard at 4000rpm. option 1 retards fully at 6000 and 2 at 7000.
Options 3, 4 and 5 advance by 12 degrees, and at 4000 rpm begin to retard again. This is achieved by either 5200 rpm, 5800 rpm and 6600 rpm.
(rpms are somewhat guessed at as the kytronic graph isnt all that accurate, amybe the exact figures are in the instructions.)

So in terms of both units and the advance / retard functions they offer, which is best?
Now its fair to say it wholly depends what your fitting it too.
As you run a low revving kit with a clubman, ideally id imagine you would want to achieve full retardation as early as possible, as your machine will not rev as high, and your cruising rpm if on a longer run will surely be lower that a tuned motor with a power band. I also imagine that 12 degrees of advance is potentially quite alot for a road going machine, and particularly as we both live in london, one that regularly sits at a whole plethora of rpms.

im not clever enough to give you the answer as to which will provide you with the best running engine, but hopefully it is apparent that although yes, the kytronic has more curves, and i do think its cool that it has options as to when it fully retards by, alot of those graphs may be aimed more toward high revving tuned engines which could do with the extra push to a. get into the powerband and b. to clean up jetting at lower revs.

its also worth pointing out that with the reedspeed box you also get a cdi than can b used as a standard cdi, thus saving you 30 quid. also, it features the flat just retarded settings, which give you static timing but retarded, incase you happen to run into trouble.

Just to clarify, I have a reedspeed one fitted, but only very recently, so have not had the chance to do a full test.

I too would be interested to hear people's experiences as to how much advance you can get away with etc etc... I was ust going to stick with the first setting on the reedspeed box, but may opt for the higher advance of option 2, considering what the kytronic offers out of the box.

(I also know that you already know alot about this Victor, jsut thought i rehash some things incase anyone else finds it useful!)
victor

Already have a cdi, kit is quite revvy I'd say although we aren't talking any 9000+ rather 7000-8000 something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
olliewtf
Main scooter: Lambretta Li S3

would be interested to know where that dyno was, would like to see what bhp ive achieved! will ask you in the future.
victor

Neil close to Hackney wick. Ex scooterworks.

victor

Everyone agreeing? Any first hands in experience with either of these?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information