How do I get this out?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

This has been in ever since I have had the scooter. I've been told it can be drilled out but the casing might need welding from the inside or the silencer bolt will act as a plug to stop the oil leaking... :? Anyway I'm going to have a crack :shock: myself so any tips would be appreciated. I won't be removing the engine.. :roll: ....ps the picture is taken using a mirror...

DigDug
Main scooter: Lambretta

Why Tim - do you mean to say you actually have an exhaust with a bracket that lines up with it? :shock:
Did you have to do that?
Timbo

Absolutely.......I've checked.... ;)
shocky

Mine didnt but since I have a 110 rod and packer it does now
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
PeteB
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 2 Li 150

Here's what I did - it'll last for ever. Pilot drill centre of broken bolt, then progressively drill out the pilot hole and the surrounding ali to 10mm and to a depth of 20mm BUT NO DEEPER. Tap this 10mm hole out to 12mm, then screw and Loctite a 12mm bolt into the hole. Carefully cut this off flush outside the casing with a dremel, centre-dot the middle of it and drill out to a depth of 20mm MAKING SURE IT DOESN'T GO ANY DEEPER to 7mm and then tap this to 8mm using a plug tap. Voila!
Timbo

Appreciate that Pete but more than slightly beyond my capabilities :oops: .....any easier solutions guys?
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

dot punch drill to 6.5 itll come out
C’est la vie
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

warm the surrounding area and use dot punch (or similar) to try and tap it anti-clockwise.

Try an "Easy Out" (I've had mixed fortunes with these).
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

You'll probably find that bolt will be super hard steel. This is due to the years of heating and cooling it's been exposed to.

Also doing that job with the motor is in the frame will be near impossible to do correctly. Center punch and then use a left hand drill bit to remove the broken piece. Follow up with a 8mm tap and you should be good. the trick will be to make sure the hole is centered and straight.
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

I bet you wish you'd never asked now. Lay down for a while; the headache will go.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information