Jb weld or TIG

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

The question is do I use JB Weld or take it to an engineer and get it alli' welded. The alli' weld is obviously the best option but that means a complete strip down. The JB Weld (or similar) could be done without a strip down.......i'm edging towards the JB Weld but would appreciate peoples thoughts on this.

The crack caused an air leak and I nearly holed a piston. Pistons had it and i'm getting the barrel "assessed" to see if it needs re-plating.

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah1 ... ag0x6z.jpg
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

I had almost same 5 years ago. I opened the cracks a little more and used JB Auto Weld to repair. It has been fine and I have had the top end off a couple of times and it still looks good. Tapped a PX stud in a bit deeper and I am not afraid to torque it up to 18lbs/ft.
Famous last words ! Oh dear
dave411
Main scooter: Li 125

Weld it.That looks like its going to break off.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

dave411 wrote:Weld it.That looks like its going to break off.
+1
Speed Demon
Dealer

It needs welding and doing properly mate. JB weld will fill a hole ok and maybe patch you up to get home but that part is under stress as soon as you tighten the stud.
Get to SULK
Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

Definitly weld it.
Donnie.
hungdog

dave411 wrote:Weld it.That looks like its going to break off.
+2
mick1

Full top-end strip down and it's getting welded.

Ron Moss has done a nice deal on a new piston and is arranging plating at Langcourts for me so hopefully a quickish turnaround.

Cheers for input and bringing me back to reality (no cheap fixes in this game).
ducksta

mick1 wrote:The question is do I use JB Weld or take it to an engineer and get it alli' welded. The alli' weld is obviously the best option but that means a complete strip down. The JB Weld (or similar) could be done without a strip down.......i'm edging towards the JB Weld but would appreciate peoples thoughts on this.

The crack caused an air leak and I nearly holed a piston. Pistons had it and i'm getting the barrel "assessed" to see if it needs re-plating.

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah1 ... ag0x6z.jpg
would this of caused a air leak :?: stud in place base gasket head etc all tight, or do you look towards carburation no point mending the weld if your going to run the same set up
live life your a long time dead
mick1

leak tested it and the air came out of the cylinder head nut/stud. The air (when testing) must seep through the cracked casing and up the stud tunnel in the barrel, coming out on the cylinder head nut........and in reverse when running, causing the air leak. Happy with carb' set up, not so happy about Indian casings, but hey-ho that's scootering.

Crank out and will be getting welded next week, hopefully back on the road very soon.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information