TIMING INDIAN SET UP.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
idc23
Main scooter: lambrettatv175 3

My series 3 with Muggy, Indian flywheel/ Stator will not time up , marks way off stator is turned as far as it can, i am thinking of throwing the stator/fly wheel .Question is i have a jl3 pipe would it be better to get a lighter f/wheel & a b.g.m stator, also who sells decent flywheels, as i don't want to waste cash on on poor quality flywheel, i notice Scooter Restorations do a lighter f/wheel are they any good.
Cheers Iain :?
barnsleybilly
Main scooter: Li200

Likely the flywheels at fault, is it elmec or sil?

Sounds a similar set up to my series 2. Ive a lightened and welded sil flywheel and bgm stator which work well, not so keen on my jl exhaust though and may bee looking to change to a bgm clubman.
idc23

I think it is a s.i.l
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

idc23 wrote:My series 3 with Muggy, Indian flywheel/ Stator will not time up , marks way off stator is turned as far as it can, i am thinking of throwing the stator/fly wheel .Question is i have a jl3 pipe would it be better to get a lighter f/wheel & a b.g.m stator, also who sells decent flywheels, as i don't want to waste cash on on poor quality flywheel, i notice Scooter Restorations do a lighter f/wheel are they any good.
Cheers Iain :?
what marks who made em?
C’est la vie
Monty
Main scooter: Series 1 Muggy, Imola Special

Start at the beginning and check your TDC. Had the same problem on a mates going by his centre pop marks he had used for ever. TDC was 1/2 inch out of the one I found by the stop method. we could them move back on the slots enough to get his reedspeed super dooper CDI to run, then strobe it up.
idc23

When the arrow lines up with the firing mark on mag housing 19" , i used a timing disc, the mark on flywheel is along way off from the marks on stator, as i stated it is turned as far as it goes, it has as much power as a wet fart.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Elongate the slots to allow it to turn further of even cut through, keeping the other end of slot in tact so that a washer is still supported under both sides and sits flat. NB: this is normally because of an Indian electronic flywheel being fitted with the points type centre boss that has the woodruff key slot in the wrong place.

Adam
Monty
Main scooter: Series 1 Muggy, Imola Special

I'm going to ask what may be a stupid side question. The white mark on the pickup and the 2 marks on the flywheel. Everyone says they are rubbish but at what position do you set the flywheel to?
It was my understanding that you find TDC. Line the arrow on the flywheel up with TDC. Then the pickup with the marks on the window by moving the stator. That will get it running as you are generally in the middle of the slots. Then once running aim for your 18 to 15 degrees using a strobe. I have heard others say you line up your arrow at the 18 degrees if so the pickup marks will be miles away. Have I been doing it wrong?
Either way you need to be sure of TDC
idc23

That is what i have done :?
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

I generally fit the stator so that is almost as far clockwise as it will go [because that's where most end up]
ignore lining up the flywheel and stator statically
then, having made some marks you know to be correct, set the timing with a strobe

as said, likely the flywheel is one where the triggers are too far round...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information