Ducati CDI's [ Blue ones] on tuned motors

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
speedy
Main scooter: lambretta af s type ts1

As electronics are far from my strong point :oops: , i'll ask what is a genuine question. Now the blue genuine Ducati cdi's that seem to be used on many electronic set ups using BGM, SIL or UNI stators etc and SIL, BGM or AFR flywheel combinations are what I'm asking about. My mind would tell me that these are probably going to be the best quality cdi that is available, or pretty darn close. Yet I have been told by a reputable tuner/dealer that you should not use them, as Ducati haven't made any HIGH RPM cdi's for years and the blue ones are not designed for high revs and will cause high rpm misfires? Is there any truth or logic in this?, A tuned and kitted Vespa I would of thought, would use the same cdi in question?.cheers,Speedy.
shocky

Not heard that does the said dealer supply his own brand or is he major disributor of said products maybe the barely german made ones ?
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
speedy
Main scooter: lambretta af s type ts1

No mi duck, not that dealer. The said dealer doesn't have anything to gain in that respect, so it's a question that has me confused ????,cheers,Speedy.
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

Ducati CDIs come in MEC/EUR bags don't they and have done for years???

I have always just presumed there was some form of licensing arrangement ??

They remain my CDI of choice although, neither of the two lammies I have on the rad at the moment has one on come to think of it :|
gaz_powell

I`ve just bought a genuine ducati CDi boxed (no MEC references) - still my first choice

if that is the case what should we be using - AFR, HANNIA, Unknown far eastern, MITSUBHI, CEAB or the usual big it up BGM ?
nelson pk

In my opinion, the blue, original ducati CDI's are the best by far.
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

nelson pk wrote:In my opinion, the blue, original ducati CDI's are the best by far.
8-)
C’est la vie
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

gaz_powell wrote:I`ve just bought a genuine ducati CDi boxed (no MEC references) - still my first choice

if that is the case what should we be using - AFR, HANNIA, Unknown far eastern, MITSUBHI, CEAB or the usual big it up BGM ?
Although, didn't MEC/EUR (Meccanica Europea) go bust a couple of years back?

I just can't believe that Ducati bother themselves with manufacturing these CDIs which, I doubt, are big sellers in a global market :?
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Are some of the later Vespa ones not supposed to be rev limited?
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
B-Race Tuning
Main scooter: Lambro, GP.

I was talking with an Indian supplier who happened to mention that ALL the Ducati CDI's are currently coming out of the same factory as 'all' the Indian ones, and the same/ or associate, factory supply All the LML ones. How true I don't know. With the current failure rate of "Ducati" CDI's, I really do not think they are worth the extra, and would go with Scootopia's remade at a rediculous low price but seem to be holding up, AND they're not giving double/ triple pulse readings on a strobe/ dyno. Credit where credit is due, they are really good and you can put three spares in the toolbox for the price of a single "DUCATI" one. As Ducati haven't made them for years, how come there's no shortage worldwide??
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information